• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Electric smokers?

My research resource www.smokingmeatforums.com lots of reviews for all smoker types. I have gas version of the master built 30. Can be tough to get temp right and hold. Temp Guage on door is junk, which is the case for most. Maverick makes a good temp gauge for meat and smoker Temps. If I go electric it will be a Traeger for $500
I have noticed my temp fluctuate a bit during smoking, the meat temp probe has so far been very accurate. When I have the electric smoker in direct sun light it tends to get too hot and spends alot of time going up and down. In the shade it seems to hold a pretty steady temp for hours. Your milage may vary. All in all I have been very satisfied with my small investment.

Last edited:
OK.... I couldn't resist. Called this a.m. to verify they had some and they were down to three. Rode right over and they only had two left. Now they have one.

The instructions for seasoning simply say turn it on for 3 hours and add wood chips (no water) for last 45 minutes. Can this be right? No oil sprayed or wiped on interior? :confused:

OK.... I couldn't resist. Called this a.m. to verify they had some and they were down to three. Rode right over and they only had two left. Now they have one.

The instructions for seasoning simply say turn it on for 3 hours and add wood chips (no water) for last 45 minutes. Can this be right? No oil sprayed or wiped on interior? :confused:
Yep that is it. I always wipe down all the racks and clean out the water pan after each use. I think the seasoning of the unit is to ensure all the oils from manufacturing get cooked off.
Congrats on the new smoker. Pics of the first brisket please?

Yep that is it. I always wipe down all the racks and clean out the water pan after each use. I think the seasoning of the unit is to ensure all the oils from manufacturing get cooked off.
Congrats on the new smoker. Pics of the first brisket please?
Weird. Ok then.... it's smoking now (ok not literally but it's on). Hopefully I can give it it's inaugural cooking after that or tomorrow.
Pics indeed. :cool:

I wimped out. Boston butt for the first attempt instead of brisket..... we'll see....

Good choice. Smoked a 10 pound butt two weekends ago. Delicious....

butt.jpg

pbc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom