• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Elk Hunt

20151111_154142.jpg I just got back from my second elk hunt in Colorado, in a public game management area.
I went in 2013, also, hunting in the 4th rifle season. I hunted with a rifle, got cow elks both times, first one at about 120 yards, second (Nov 11th) at 470 yards. This year, 5 of the 6 of us got elk, with the 6th missing his shots. All of us got on elk.
I don't know what elevation you're hunting at, we were from 9k-10.5k and getting there a few days early to scout, and get used to breathing where there's much less air, is very useful. I slept on the tent in a mountain the first night, both years, and that really seems to help acclimate to the altitude.
If it's anything like where we hunt, plan on hunting hard. Lots of walking up and down hills. If you can, put your pack on (corn or bags of water in it to add variable weight) and walk on a treadmill at maximum incline, that's about the best physical prep that you can do.
Water, water, water. The exercise and dry mountain air will dehydrate you, badly. I drank a 2 liter camelback while hunting (tube tucked inside your jacket, so it doesn't freeze if it's real cold)
Bring a scope cover and a roll of tape, to keep a piece on the end of the barrel. Snow gets everywhere, and walking with your rifle on your shoulder, it'll pack your scope and barrel full.
Lots of clothing layers, so that you can take them off while traveling, put them all back on when sitting, or as evening approaches. Temperatures drop hard and fast at sunset.
Go to the elk. Scout, find fresh sign (fresh snow is your best friend), and follow them. Three of ours were harvested by stalking along fresh trails (although one ended with missed shots), two were long enough shots that the elk just didn't care about the hunter (mine, 470 yards, my friend, 800+), and one was a young lady who got her first elk, sitting and covering a well used trail, with her granddad.
Unless you have solid local knowledge about movement patterns, I'd recommend moving a lot, (spotting thoroughly!, a smart bull may watch you walk right past, 200 yds away), sit and glass for 20 or 30 minutes, move to the next ridge and repeat, staying below the line of the horizon. Elk are grazing animals, not browsers like deer, so they need open fields to feed, but they don't mind travelling and sleeping in heavy thick, broken, nasty cover. They may also just bed in the field, if they aren't under much pressure.
PM me any specific info you need, and if I know, I'll help.
I like PSE bows, they have a huge adjustment range, light for practicing, turn them up as your strength develops. I used one afer wrist surgery, for that reason.
Craig

Last edited:
My extended family lives on the Western Slope in Colorado. I went 5 years in a row for Bull/Muley. Two biggest tips:

Exercise: A lot. I would highly recommend joining a cross fit like program NOW for the upcoming fall (not just your local gym or a Y). The elevation and immense terrain will boggle your mind.
Layers: It could be 70 degrees for the first half of the day and then dip into the low 30s for the later half of the day.

Have fun and take a camera!!

Enjoy your hunt. I used to hunt Wyoming and Colorado. Never used a guide or outfitter. Always hunted public land and did pretty good. If you are a real hunter and woodsman you will learn the ropes pretty quick. Too many Americans these days are wimps and want someone to hold their hand. My hat is off to you,lady. Find the bow that fits you best. The one that you shoot the best and have confidence in. If you want help,that`s ok. I`m just saying that guides aren`t necessary. Be prepared to pack out meat in pieces,so you will need a good frame and pack,unless you have horses. I never had that luxury. I barely had gas money to get there. Good luck on your hunt.

View attachment 623397 I just got back from my second elk hunt in Colorado, in a public game management area.
I went in 2013, also, hunting in the 4th rifle season. I hunted with a rifle, got cow elks both times, first one at about 120 yards, second (Nov 11th) at 470 yards. This year, 5 of the 6 of us got elk, with the 6th missing his shots. All of us got on elk.
I don't know what elevation you're hunting at, we were from 9k-10.5k and getting there a few days early to scout, and get used to breathing where there's much less air, is very useful. I slept on the tent in a mountain the first night, both years, and that really seems to help acclimate to the altitude.
If it's anything like where we hunt, plan on hunting hard. Lots of walking up and down hills. If you can, put your pack on (corn or bags of water in it to add variable weight) and walk on a treadmill at maximum incline, that's about the best physical prep that you can do.
Water, water, water. The exercise and dry mountain air will dehydrate you, badly. I drank a 2 liter camelback while hunting (tube tucked inside your jacket, so it doesn't freeze if it's real cold)
Bring a scope cover and a roll of tape, to keep a piece on the end of the barrel. Snow gets everywhere, and walking with your rifle on your shoulder, it'll pack your scope and barrel full.
Lots of clothing layers, so that you can take them off while traveling, put them all back on when sitting, or as evening approaches. Temperatures drop hard and fast at sunset.
Go to the elk. Scout, find fresh sign (fresh snow is your best friend), and follow them. Three of ours were harvested by stalking along fresh trails (although one ended with missed shots), two were long enough shots that the elk just didn't care about the hunter (mine, 470 yards, my friend, 800+), and one was a young lady who got her first elk, sitting and covering a well used trail, with her granddad.
Unless you have solid local knowledge about movement patterns, I'd recommend moving a lot, (spotting thoroughly!, a smart bull may watch you walk right past, 200 yds away), sit and glass for 20 or 30 minutes, move to the next ridge and repeat, staying below the line of the horizon. Elk are grazing animals, not browsers like deer, so they need open fields to feed, but they don't mind travelling and sleeping in heavy thick, broken, nasty cover. They may also just bed in the field, if they aren't under much pressure.
PM me any specific info you need, and if I know, I'll help.
I like PSE bows, they have a huge adjustment range, light for practicing, turn them up as your strength develops. I used one afer wrist surgery, for that reason.
Craig
Wow! Good stuff!! THANK YOU! We'll be going in September so idk what the weather is like at that time of the season. I currently do kickboxing but I will start putting my treadmill to use!! I will keep ya updated as I find out more details! Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom