• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Elk Hunt

Enjoy your hunt. I used to hunt Wyoming and Colorado. Never used a guide or outfitter. Always hunted public land and did pretty good. If you are a real hunter and woodsman you will learn the ropes pretty quick. Too many Americans these days are wimps and want someone to hold their hand. My hat is off to you,lady. Find the bow that fits you best. The one that you shoot the best and have confidence in. If you want help,that`s ok. I`m just saying that guides aren`t necessary. Be prepared to pack out meat in pieces,so you will need a good frame and pack,unless you have horses. I never had that luxury. I barely had gas money to get there. Good luck on your hunt.
Thank you! The guy I'm going with has done this several times so I know I'll be in good hands with him! We will have horses to pack in and out of camp, thank goodness.

try to do some training in the mountains at elevation. the air is thinner where you'll be hunting and the terrain is fairly steep. Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Bear and Bowtech are all good bows. take into consideration the weight of the bow and day pack. you will be doing a lot of walking and stalking. i killed my first deer in those mountains with a Bear Kodiak Magnum #45 re-curve when i was 12. how many in your party???

try to do some training in the mountains at elevation. the air is thinner where you'll be hunting and the terrain is fairly steep. Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Bear and Bowtech are all good bows. take into consideration the weight of the bow and day pack. you will be doing a lot of walking and stalking. i killed my first deer in those mountains with a Bear Kodiak Magnum #45 re-curve when i was 12. how many in your party???
That's awesome!!! I definitely wanna try to get some good hiking in next year. The bow will have to be a light one no doubt! There will be at least 3-4 of us if not 1 or 2 more.

A lot of great information in @CraigMo post. It has been several years since I have been Elk hunting. From what I remember you do need a couple days to climatize at higher elevations. There is just NO AIR! Also make sure you are ready to hike. Most successful elk hunts include a lot of hiking 5-6 miles per day!

As for bows all the big names make great bows it just boils down to $$ and preference. I've always been partial to Mathews with Bowtech running close second.

Good Luck

A lot of great information in @CraigMo post. It has been several years since I have been Elk hunting. From what I remember you do need a couple days to climatize at higher elevations. There is just NO AIR! Also make sure you are ready to hike. Most successful elk hunts include a lot of hiking 5-6 miles per day!

As for bows all the big names make great bows it just boils down to $$ and preference. I've always been partial to Mathews with Bowtech running close second.

Good Luck
Between working at a preschool, a 3 yo boy, and kickboxing my stamina is pretty well but I'll be bringing some Advocare supplements to help with my oxygen. Like is said above too though I'm gonna go on some mountain hikes this year to get a good feel of the different atmosphere and elevations. Thank ya!

That's awesome!!! I definitely wanna try to get some good hiking in next year. The bow will have to be a light one no doubt! There will be at least 3-4 of us if not 1 or 2 more.

hope you have a great adventure and don't forget...........PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES.....

Northern New Mexico is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. I would go for that reason alone, but the hunting should also be great.

Almost forgot..... I always wanted to hunt in the snow until my first Elk hunt. We got almost 2 feet of snow second day we were there. Walking those miles at the elevation is tough enough, add 18+ inches of snow and it plain out sucks!! Just be prepared for weather!!

Back
Top Bottom