• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Elmer Keith, Mr. Magnums Opus

Who is the father of the "modern" magnum pistol load?

• Glock does nor approve, we have had enough failures.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I wouldn't shoot something that hot in a Vaqero. Although it is heavier than the Colt. The Blackhawk is a much heavier design
I would agree with you except that the original 1st generation Vaquero wasn’t the same gun as the version sold now. It was beefier like the Blackhawks and the cylinder was just a touch longer than todays Vaquero. Mine was a very early model, I even called Ruger and Cor Bon and both advised that the Vaquero was more than capable of handling that load. I may be crazy but Dad didn’t raise no fool…

‘The .44 Magnum cartridge lengthened the .44 Special cartridge by 1/8th of an inch so the more powerful new load couldn’t be used in older revolvers. The fear was that older revolvers couldn’t handle the pressure from the higher pressure generated. Elmer Keith's first “American Rifleman” magazine article was about blowing the cylinder and top strap off of a heavily loaded Colt Single Action Army.

"When the gun rose from recoil of the first cartridge I unconsciously hooked my thumb over the hammer spur and thus cocked gun as it recovered from recoil. When I turned the next one loose I was almost deafened by the report and saw a little flash of flame. My hand automatically cocked gun and snapped again but no report. I stopped then knowing something was wrong. The upper half of three chambers was gone. Also one cartridge and half of another case. Also the top strap over cylinder. My ears were ringing otherwise I was all O.K," he wrote in the Aug. 15, 1925 “American Rifleman.””
"I saw something funny while experimenting so I fired again". Miracle he had a hand to write articles with. I was gonna say luck had nothing to do with it butttttt.....it did. A lot of luck.

I suppose you could call me somewhat of an Elmer Keith fan.
I already owned a 29 Smith Elmer Keith 44. And a copy of “Hell, I was there”
View attachment 6713196

And then bought another one of the 44 revolvers, a bunch of pictures, letters, a knife, another copy of the book, the last license plate off his Ford Bronco, some of his 44 mag reloads and a couple 500 Nitro Express rounds from his grandson Gregor Keith in Idaho. All pictured below.

View attachment 6713202View attachment 6713203View attachment 6713204View attachment 6713205View attachment 6713206View attachment 6713207View attachment 6713208View attachment 6713209View attachment 6713210View attachment 6713211
That is more than love, that is respect!

I would agree with you except that the original 1st generation Vaquero wasn’t the same gun as the version sold now. It was beefier like the Blackhawks and the cylinder was just a touch longer than todays Vaquero. Mine was a very early model, I even called Ruger and Cor Bon and both advised that the Vaquero was more than capable of handling that load. I may be crazy but Dad didn’t raise no fool…
I thought I remembered that Vaquero being beefier. I looked up a pic and it looked very much like a Colt, except just very slightly thicker frame on the top. That explains it though

I thought I remembered that Vaquero being beefier. I looked up a pic and it looked very much like a Colt, except just very slightly thicker frame on the top. That explains it though

Seems like I heard that some of the cowboy action shooters at the time liked the gun but complained about the weight, of course none of them were using any cartridge that was loaded much hotter than a blank and Ruger would make a lot more money selling a lighter less stout Vaquero than the hand cannon I had, it had either a 4 5/8” or 4 3/4” barrel I can’t remember. Sure wish I had’ve held on to that one…

‘The .44 Magnum cartridge lengthened the .44 Special cartridge by 1/8th of an inch so the more powerful new load couldn’t be used in older revolvers. The fear was that older revolvers couldn’t handle the pressure from the higher pressure generated. Elmer Keith's first “American Rifleman” magazine article was about blowing the cylinder and top strap off of a heavily loaded Colt Single Action Army.

"When the gun rose from recoil of the first cartridge I unconsciously hooked my thumb over the hammer spur and thus cocked gun as it recovered from recoil. When I turned the next one loose I was almost deafened by the report and saw a little flash of flame. My hand automatically cocked gun and snapped again but no report. I stopped then knowing something was wrong. The upper half of three chambers was gone. Also one cartridge and half of another case. Also the top strap over cylinder. My ears were ringing otherwise I was all O.K," he wrote in the Aug. 15, 1925 “American Rifleman.””
I wonder what that Colt cost in 1925.

Back
Top Bottom