• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Elmer Keith, Mr. Magnums Opus

Who is the father of the "modern" magnum pistol load?

• Glock does nor approve, we have had enough failures.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Love the writings of ELMER KEITH .
His stuff is the gold standard of ballistics when it comes to the big bore revolvers. The info contained in his writings is both informative and interesting. It shows the great power and also the accuracy of the ballistics he experimented with.
Thus these writings are absolutely as important and accurate today as when they were published.

I'm going to read one of his hunting books. I enjoy reading the old timers who did that stuff their whole lives. Pretty sure if one of them posted their opinions, preferences, and observations online today many people would tell them they don't know what they're talking about.

If Elmer were to walk into a gun shop today he would get laughed at behind his back by some nasal pierced soyboy with cartoon tattoo sleeves. Reading some of his articles oftened conjured up going hunting out west with a big bore pistol. As kid it was my dream to kill my first deer with a 44 revolver. I finished off my first deer with my 44 Redhawk and killed a spike a couple years later with it. Shooting a 225 speer keith style half jacket.
I dont find many writers today or internet influencers, as to writing has become an ancient ritual, that conjures up much to me.

Looking for some "fun" firearm reading material?

You have already gone down the John Browning fascinating history have you...

How about a little nighttime "research" on Mr. E. Keith? A rancher, inspector and father of the "modern" magnum handgun ammo.

Here is a little launching point...
Feel free to leave any interesting links. I have a few to share...

Originally Keith specified a meplat that was 65% of the bullet caliber, but later increased it to a 70% meplat.

The other distinguishing characteristics of a "Keith-style" SWC are a double radius ogive, beveled crimp groove, three equal width driving bands, wide square bottomed grease groove, and a plain base with sharp corners.

The wide forward driving band helps keep the bullet aligned as it jumps across the cylinder gap. Because of the three wide equal width driving bands, the total bearing surface is half the length of the bullet.

The relatively large bearing surface helps the Keith-style SWC to be an inherently accurate bullet and minimizes pressure leakage due to projectile blow-by. The wide square bottom grease groove holds ample lubricant.[

I don’t even remember when I bought this book but it’s a really good read, very entertaining too.
Sorry bout the glare, I’d never make it as a pro photographer. 😂
IMG_0778.jpeg

I'm not 100% certain but I believe he was trying to develop a 45 Magnum and made the discovery that the walls were just too thin for the high pressure

Interestingly enough the old cap and ball revolvers have very close to the same ballistics as a lot of modern day pistols. The Colt Walker was the king of the hill in it's day. A power house like the 44 mag in it's day. Course there were Walkers blown up too. Elmer Keith put the 44mag on the map. All this said, the pistol is actually vary inefficient to the rifle. I'd say the 500 S&W does come close though. That said I've taken plenty deer with a handgun as well. Even one shot kills with a 44mag. The 357 almost always takes 2 rounds to get the job done. I don't like to have to chase deer down so I started using a 44. I also find the 45 Colt to be as effective as the 44. I am a fan of the big bore

I had an old model Vaquero in .45 Colt for a while that I wish I still had, but anyway, I bought some Cor-Bon .45 Colt Magnum +P 300gr JSP @ 1300 fps for it just for the fun of it. First time I touched off one of those bad boys the owner of the range, the late Tommy Hawk, came in and asked “What in the heck was THAT?!” Lol! I handed it to him so he could try it out and he only fired it once and handed it back and said not to EVER let him shoot that thing again. 😂 It was loud as hell and the recoil was glorious! But it was dead on accurate too.

I suppose you could call me somewhat of an Elmer Keith fan.
I already owned a 29 Smith Elmer Keith 44. And a copy of “Hell, I was there”
IMG_5281.jpeg

And then bought another one of the 44 revolvers, a bunch of pictures, letters, a knife, another copy of the book, the last license plate off his Ford Bronco, some of his 44 mag reloads and a couple 500 Nitro Express rounds from his grandson Gregor Keith in Idaho. All pictured below.

IMG_5270.jpeg
IMG_5271.jpeg
IMG_5272.jpeg
IMG_5273.jpeg
IMG_5274.jpeg
IMG_5276.jpeg
IMG_5277.jpeg
IMG_5278.jpeg
IMG_5279.jpeg
IMG_5280.jpeg

I suppose you could call me somewhat of an Elmer Keith fan.
I already owned a 29 Smith Elmer Keith 44. And a copy of “Hell, I was there”
View attachment 6713196

And then bought another one of the 44 revolvers, a bunch of pictures, letters, a knife, another copy of the book, the last license plate off his Ford Bronco, some of his 44 mag reloads and a couple 500 Nitro Express rounds from his grandson Gregor Keith in Idaho. All pictured below.

View attachment 6713202View attachment 6713203View attachment 6713204View attachment 6713205View attachment 6713206View attachment 6713207View attachment 6713208View attachment 6713209View attachment 6713210View attachment 6713211

Wow! Just Wow! I loved the book, he had a fascinating life. 👍

I had an old model Vaquero in .45 Colt for a while that I wish I still had, but anyway, I bought some Cor-Bon .45 Colt Magnum +P 300gr JSP @ 1300 fps for it just for the fun of it. First time I touched off one of those bad boys the owner of the range, the late Tommy Hawk, came in and asked “What in the heck was THAT?!” Lol! I handed it to him so he could try it out and he only fired it once and handed it back and said not to EVER let him shoot that thing again. 😂 It was loud as hell and the recoil was glorious! But it was dead on accurate too.
I wouldn't shoot something that hot in a Vaqero. Although it is heavier than the Colt. The Blackhawk is a much heavier design

Back
Top Bottom