• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Embarrassed to admit it. Generator & chainsaw neglect

PA4476

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
168   0
Reaction score
I’m embarrassed to admit that I have been complacent in starting and running my backup generator regularly. (Been at least 2 years)
Today, I checked the oil, hooked up a bottle of LP.
The battery was too weak to start it. But just 3 pulls of the rope and it fired right up.
Ran smooth as ever. I let it run 10 min’s or so.
Then plugged in an electric heater and let it run under load for 20 more min’s.
Now I need to change the oil and put it back away.
This one runs almost my whole house. I say almost because it will handle the dryer OR the hot water heater. But not both at the same time.
I usually flip the breakers off for those 2 items when we have lost power in the past.
Anyone else working on way overdue things today ?

IMG_1765.jpeg
IMG_1764.jpeg

I run my generator every month for about 15-20 minutes. Just ran it yesterday. It always cranks on the second pull. I can run my whole house except the central heat in winter (too many amps)…which is a real bummer when you don’t have a fireplace! But I can run space heaters, use blankets and dress warm.

You just reminded me of something else I need to do. I've been way overdue on everything the last few years. I've made it a point to work on something everyday. I just got my F250 back on the road after being on jack stands for the past month. Parts and life delays. Just about to finish my second truck and on to my third. One thing at a time

Ironically I fired my Honda genny up just yesterday. 2 pull but I do run it often for 20+min each time at minimum monthly. It is the only small equip engine I leave treated fuel in.
Stihl Chainsaw only when its needed for the past 18+ yrs. I always run it (and all other small equip) completely out of fuel EVERY time I use them and have never had an issue adding fuel/choking/starting/running the next time I've needed any of them.
Great PSA reminder OP !!

Yep….I have to get mine serviced and run it for a few. Lately with these seizures and the physical issues I just have not been on top of things mechanically like I should.
It makes for some painful days sometimes :( ……
But I deal with it and try to keep going ! Cant just quit ! Lol

Back
Top Bottom