Emergency Communications...

jcountry

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
Here is a new podcast show:

http://www.twit.tv/hn

Looks like they emphasize emergency preparedness and shtf type situations. I am gonna listen to a few of these. Seems like communications would be critical in any sort of manmade or natural disaster-I am gonna give this one a listen.

From what I understand, HAM operators have really helped out after many large disasters, and they kinda plan for stuff like this.

I've got a few handheld walkie talkie type radios. Hardly ideal, but better than nothing, I suppose. Definitely one of the areas where I've been lacking in my preps.

Well-

I have been reading "one second after" and it seems like communications would really be crucial in such a scenario. I love listening to various Leo podcasts while I am doing yard work and such, and this one is new. I am really interested in how these guys may harden their systems. I am just getting started, and am not really into the HAM area yet, but it just seems like such a valuable area to explore.

-A working HAM system or two would be worth far more then its weight in gold in a EMP scenario.
-Worth checking out-definitely.

Looks like a cool idea. I would bet you could shield something small liike that from an EMP. I wil have to do a little reading to figure that out.

I bought a couple of the ICOM 8000's just for that particular reason...these radio's are much simplier to use and are 12volt mobile's that can pump out 75 watts!

One of the guys I know that worked for a cell company said that in an emergency, rely on text messaging. It takes much less "bandwidth" or whatever to get a text through than a phone call, so your text is much more likely to get through during an emergency and the associated tower overload. I know this info is only pertinent as long as we have power and functioning cell towers, but it is peripherally related to this discussion and good to know.

Good thread
Personally, I have a midland hanheld and a Cobra 29.

The trick is to create a battery pack that is portable and powerful.
I had one but I blew it up.

Lithium is bad.

Need LIFe Lithium Iron Phosphate
Expensive.

12ah sealed lead acid or agm would work.
heavy though.

Solar panel or small wind generator might be good options.

If I build another one, I 'll show the Pics.

Back
Top Bottom