• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Equipment love it , hate it, trick for the other guys

I really don't like case trimming ... Who likes it?
However, there are products out there that make it almost fun ... sorta / kinda.

One is the RCBS Case Trimmer,

If I had started with the RCBS case trimmer, I would most certainly have done what Chuckdog did: upgrade it with the 3-way cutter.

Another is the Gracey Case Trimmer

Starting from scratch, I went with a Gracey Case Trimmer. It's like an electric pencil sharpener for trimming brass:
stick the case in, apply a little pressure and when the grinding stops you have a trimmed, decamfered and deburred case.

the Dillion electric case trimmer ain't bad either.....size and trim in one operation

on the cheap side the Possum Hollow trimmers work pretty darn well.. they index off the case shoulder.. Still need to debur and camfer but for $30..not bad

DIllon square b,dillion 650 dillion 900, got to love it. But most loading on the RCBS single stage I guess I go back to my root's. Hate the lee hand primer but they have improved them over the years. Use a rcbs primer and it has worked great for me for 15 years. A pain to change shell holders but price of loading. Had a lee single stage that I broke in two days. My fault sent it over the hill and never looked back. Just plain wore out a cutter on my rcbs prep station, called rcbs and they sent me the replacement parts free of charge. Just my two cents cgillette

DIllon square b,dillion 650 dillion 900, got to love it. But most loading on the RCBS single stage I guess I go back to my root's. Hate the lee hand primer but they have improved them over the years. Use a rcbs primer and it has worked great for me for 15 years. A pain to change shell holders but price of loading. Had a lee single stage that I broke in two days. My fault sent it over the hill and never looked back. Just plain wore out a cutter on my rcbs prep station, called rcbs and they sent me the replacement parts free of charge. Just my two cents cgillette

The original deburring and chamfer that came on my RCBS dulled in no time too. The cutter on the power trimmer also dulled quickly. I hated to see the prices, but replaced them all with carbide units and they all work much better. The chamfer attachment was pretty bad from the get go. I have issues with my hands, so I love my RCBS power tools, but was always disappointed in their attachments short lifespan.

The old style Lee handprimer is the best $10.00 or so I ever invested in a loading tool. I have 4 or 5 of them that I leave setup for different applications. Now the one new style I have, well it's a waste of good plastic. Primers flip, seat sideways or upside down, or fall out in the floor. I rather prime on the press than try to use it. Junk.

I have a Hornady concentricity tool that I ain't real sure about. It seems to measure fine, but I ain't too sure about their other claims for it? Anyway, I've spent a lot on junk and good stuff too. My wife knows that I could be blowing the money on much worse, so I try not to lose too much sleep over it.

Here's a trick I got from another member here. Apparently a Lee cutter with the proper case length gauge used as a pilot will cut a 90 degree crown on a barrel pretty well.

BEFORE
i176.photobucket.com_albums_w188_bighonkinjeep_crown_7f4f577a_zps9447c76e.jpg

AFTER
i176.photobucket.com_albums_w188_bighonkinjeep_crown_769f6d2a_zps71dbf903.jpg

Back
Top Bottom