• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Escambia River Survival Skills 2 Day Class 19-21 Jan

Semper Gumby

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
129   0
Reaction score
Highly recommend this class. If anyone local needs a ride down, you can ride with me. It's around the Pensacola area.

Instructors for this class will be Justin Cook who was on the show Men Women Wild and Kaui Morehead who was recently on the show Bushcraft Build-off. I personally know both of these guys and they are legit, you will learn a ton.

https://www.flintsteelcsg.com/product/escambia-river-survival-skills-2-day/

It was great. I do a lot of stuff like this, teach a little here locally. Justin and Kau'i are always great friends and instructors and I learn something new every time. I like to travel the southeast and learn the land. It's amazing how different resources are just hours apart. The itenirary is listed on the link so you can see all of the things they went over. My particular goal with this class was to get a little more instruction about flint knapping and Justin is one of the best in the country. The events are always what you put into them. You learn valuable and practical primitive skills but can always bring along modern amenities. I usually sleep in a hammock while some others are sleeping on the ground. We caught catfish and several pounds of freshwater mussels but at the same time people were cooking hot dogs, sausages and such. If you're newer to doing things like this, the classes are worth the money just to see what gear everyone uses, try things out, and find out what things work for you. So many people stock up on gear and supplies before taking classes like these and usually end up wanting different gear come the end of the class. I normally offer to let people borrow tents, hammocks, knives, and such for events im going to and most other people in these classes with extra gear will do the same. Classes like these generally are a little harder to fill duting the winter months because its cold but it was in the 50's and 60's in the day and at night it got into the 30's but campfire, comraderie, and staying busy help you forget about the cold. Putting the price into perspective, its a great value at less than 200 dollars. What would 2-3 days staying in a hotel visiting a particular location on vacation cost? Or even a whole day at six flags with food, drinks, and such. Some organizations around here charge 100 bucks just to spend a day learning how to boil water or use a knife that they'll try to sell you at the end. I brought my canoe out so folks could get out on the water and fish, set trot lines, etc.
I'm not the best reviewer or photographer so if anyone has any particular questions, feel free to ask and if anyone posts pictures from the event, ill share them. Follow Flint and Steel Critical Skills Group on my original post to keep up with the classes.

The spear point is only the second time I've knapped We didn't really use the saw palmetto shelter, the SOL blanket with plastic liner is a scaled down version of the Mors Kochanski "super shelter"
20180123_152056.jpg
FB_IMG_1516740594184.jpg
20180120_105005.jpg

Back
Top Bottom