• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Esee 6 or Rat 7? Need some advice.

ratfinkron

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
390   0
Reaction score
Looking to add a nice fixed blade to my collection. I am looking at the Ontario Rat 7 and the Esee 6. Besides the size difference is there really any difference in the quality of the two. They look to be the same steel and very similar in design. I like the 6 inch Esee but the Rat 7 is cheaper. Just looking for opinions between the two.

I have both. How much lighter do you want your wallet? Honestly... IMHO they're both of great quality, and the RAT7 is my EDC. The ESEE sheath is injection molded plastic, and the RAT7 sheath sucks. Get BA CustomKydex to make you a sheath like mine for either one and you be pleased.

If you Google "ESEE vs Ontario" you'll find that most people prefer the ESEE knives for their fit, finish, quality control, heat treating and lifetime, no questioins asked warranty.

I have never owned an Ontario knife, but I have 5 ESEEs. They are great, work horse knives that hold an edge well. And if I ever break one, they will replace it, regardless on how I may have misused the knife.

But, for the last 2 or 3 months I have been carrying one of Fatzombie's DAN Knives Mako. Being a custom knife, it cost more than the ESEE 4 that was my EDC, but that hasn't stopped me from abusing it. My knife from Danny seems to hold a better edge and be a more efficient cutter than the ESEE. I don't know if it is the blade design or the fact that it doesn't have that thick coating on the blade that the ESEEs have. The coating does protect the blade but causes more resistance when making a cut through thick material.

If a custom knife is within your budget, don't hesitate to have Fatzombie make you one. Excellent craftsmanship and style.

If a production knife is what you decide on, EM Gear has a small store in Alpharetta, GA and a website at www.emgear.net They stock ESEE knives at reasonable prices.

Here are a couple of pictures of the Mako in some sheaths that I made:

Last edited:
If you Google "ESEE vs Ontario" you'll find that most people prefer the ESEE knives for their fit, finish, quality control, heat treating and lifetime, no questioins asked warranty.

I have never owned an Ontario knife, but I have 5 ESEEs. They are great, work horse knives that hold an edge well. And if I ever break one, they will replace it, regardless on how I may have misused the knife.

But, for the last 2 or 3 months I have been carrying one of Fatzombie's DAN Knives Mako. Being a custom knife, it cost more than the ESEE 4 that was my EDC, but that hasn't stopped me from abusing it. My knife from Danny seems to hold a better edge and be a more efficient cutter than the ESEE. I don't know if it is the blade design or the fact that it doesn't have that thick coating on the blade that the ESEEs have. The coating does protect the blade but causes more resistance when making a cut through thick material.

If a custom knife is within your budget, don't hesitate to have Fatzombie make you one. Excellent craftsmanship and style.

If a production knife is what you decide on, EM Gear has a small store in Alpharetta, GA and a website at www.emgear.net They stock ESEE knives at reasonable prices.

Here are a couple of pictures of the Mako in some sheaths that I made:

You need to post a picture of what the knife looks like now that you have been using it for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom