• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Excessive right/left adjustments on rifle sights.

RugerRob

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
92   0
Reaction score
When sighting in most of the pistols and rifles I have owned out of the box the right and left adjustments needed were not enough to make it visually noticeable that the sights were not dead center in appearance.

I recently purchased the Ruger SR22 rifle and it came with Ruger Flip up polymer sights. The sights are pretty nice and I'd say comparable with the Magpul ones. I sighted in the rifle at the 25 yard indoor range but for some reason had to make a good number of adjustments to the right on the rear sight to get it zeroed. After bringing it home from the range I removed the sights, re-centered them by the marks on the rear sight, and reseated/tightened them down again. I took it to the range again yesterday and once again had to move the rear sight to the right a good bit to get it to zero. In regards to accuracy this was no problem but visually when looking through the rear sight you can see how far it is to the right which is kind of annoying. Visually inspecting the rifle it does not look like anything on the rifle is off or the rail but a visual inspection of course may not be a good indication of telling if something is off.

It's not really a big deal but I'm wonder if once I get the scope if the cross hairs will be noticeably off to the right as well. Could be the rifle construction or it could be the Ruger flip up sights. Once I get the scope that may tell me more as well.

Anyone experience this as well or get a rifle or pistol that no matter what they did the right or left adjustment was a good bit off? See photo anything to be concerned about?

Rob

RearSite.jpg

Last edited:
Every gun Shoots different, you could also use a micrometer to see the rear sight hole is centered, I could be crazy and it could be shadows, but the rear sight peep does not look centered , as long as it is shooting straight then i would not worry about it too much.

This is actually quite common with iron sights on AR's. During my time in the army, I rarely saw a rifle with the rear sight dead center after zeroing. My iron sights on my AR are a couple of hash marks to the left of center. It shouldn't affect your scope at all.

Back
Top Bottom