• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

FA Pro's & Con's

i never actually had to use mine... i think new design and well maintained weapons should not have issues with the bolt not going all the way home on each cycle. I guess out of spec munitions could contribute to it as well

From my limited exposure.

Pros:
If you don't clean it enough or play in the mud and your life depends on getting the round into battery then you need it.
IE: Our forces in combat.
Here in the friendly states of US you can decock slowly until it catches on the first groove then see how slowly you can ease it forward by tapping on the bolt.

Cons:
You pay extra.

Oh yeah.
On a side, not related yet opinionated, note I would make sure it has a dust cover but not for the reason below.
One friend I know actually closes it between shots just so it flips up since the spring is so cheap.
AO has a "Sport" model without the dust cover and without the forward assist for around $600 or so.

Like my carry pistol that I rarely shoot, my four wheel drive that I hardly ever use, along with several other things in my life, "It's far better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

The forward assist is good for heavy fouling/little lubrication/etc and the bolt needs a forward bump. If you've shot enough rounds in a day at a class or match, performing a press check may require a bump forward by the forward assist.

It is part of the design, why go without one?

Chuckdog honestly nailed it;"its far better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it".

In theory you should never "have" to use it. There are those that argue about maintenance and cleaning, but they usually forget the AR was not designed for the recreational shooter. If anyone here has been to Arghanistan or Iraq then you'll know what we talk about when we reference the super-fine sand. Imagine, at times, walking on top of a 2 inch thick layer of foot powder all over the ground. This $hit gets everywhere, to include the insides of your upper.

Now, since it is illegal under the UCMJ to use a cleaner aside from standard issue CLP, all we have to use is CLP. CLP is a f&*king sand magnet. So you can either run your weapon dry....for a while, or clean and lube it up and deal with the foot powder sand.

When we entered Iraq in 2003 we were an invasive force, not this occupational crap going on today. In turn, we often engaged in small arms fights. Not a few pop shots, or an IED, but actual small arms tactics. Myself, and plenty others have all used the forward assist. And it did it's job flawlessly. But, in a civilian world, there is no real "pro" to having it, but there certainly is no "con" (and don't give me this ounces lead to pounds crap).

Sorry for my dissertation, hope you got something from this.

Useless. If a round doesn't chamber on the first try, why is that? Either the gun is fouled up or the ammo is out of spec. Either way, I'm not going to attempt to force it in.

Stoner's original design did not have FA.

Cars didn't have electric starters, hydraulic braking, or air conditioning. Thank God for improvements!

Useless. If a round doesn't chamber on the first try, why is that? Either the gun is fouled up or the ammo is out of spec. Either way, I'm not going to attempt to force it in.

Stoner's original design did not have FA.

Back
Top Bottom