• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Failure to eject - AR (Photos Added)

I don't beleive your ejection problem is gas related as you have the same results with hand cycling.

My thoughts are a mis shaped ejector, factory weak ejector spring and or both. You can always disassemble the carrier to inspect for maching burs in the ejector pocket as well.

The ejection port does look tight, but you would have case damage if it was hitting. Also, hand cycling would make this very noticeable.

I think it is ejector/bolt related solely. Have you inspected the rim of the casing for odd markings?

I don't beleive your ejection problem is gas related as you have the same results with hand cycling.

My thoughts are a mis shaped ejector, factory weak ejector spring and or both. You can always disassemble the carrier to inspect for maching burs in the ejector pocket as well.

The ejection port does look tight, but you would have case damage if it was hitting. Also, hand cycling would make this very noticeable.

I think it is ejector/bolt related solely. Have you inspected the rim of the casing for odd markings?

That's exactly what I thought. Can't even think gas issue if it does it hand cycling. Pretty much rules out anything but the ejector at this point. But as many have said that's based on my experience with mil spec standardized stuff.

That's exactly what I thought. Can't even think gas issue if it does it hand cycling. Pretty much rules out anything but the ejector at this point. But as many have said that's based on my experience with mil spec standardized stuff.

I hear ya. Although is a much larger cartridge, the components appear to be quite similar. I am going to look into more details when I get home, but the mechanics of these uppers should be the same as a GI 5.56 platform.

Last edited:
Guns do all kind of weird stuff hand cycling that they don't do under live fire. I wouldn't rule out a gas issue. However, like I said earlier, I'd start with the extractor spring.

Locks back consistantly on single round shooting with empty mag. Had to resort to that to sight the thing in...

Added some photos for clarification:

First photo is of handcycling, locking back on empty mag.

Second and third are examples of what happened during firing. Not empty mags on these photos.

View attachment 316694View attachment 316693View attachment 316692

Failure to eject = check your ejector. Go figure! Check the ejector for free, unimpeded movement and proper tension. If there's an oring under the extractor, remove it, as you may have too much extractor tension. On the other hand, too much gas could be causing the extractor to lose its grip, which could mean you need a Springco spring and a heavier buffer. Too many variables. If none of that helps & you can't identify an obvious issue, send it back to Satern. It's their barrel, bolt and upper, let them figure out what they screwed up.

That ejection port does look small compared to the case, but I've never noticed if the AA receivers were different.

Last edited:
Guns do all kind of weird stuff hand cycling that they don't do under live fire. I wouldn't rule out a gas issue. However, like I said earlier, I'd start with the extractor spring.

True, but hand cycling should still throw a cartridge, not puke it out if at all.

Hopefully it's an easy fix for OP.

Okay.....

I finally decided to tear the bolt down, did not see an o-ring.

My understanding is that the Beowulf bolt is similar to, if not identical to a 7.62x39 bolt.

I didn't have any 7.62 bolts sitting around, so wound up swapping an extractor from a 5.56 bolt. The Beowulf bolt now ejects spent casings and loaded rounds by hand cycling. Will try live fire later this week.

The 5.56 and 7.62 bolt sizes are slightly different, so wasn't sure if the 5.56 extractor would work. I put the 7.62 extractor in the donor 5.56 bolt and it seems to extract and eject 5.56 rounds with no problems...

This is just weird.

Okay.....

I finally decided to tear the bolt down, did not see an o-ring.

My understanding is that the Beowulf bolt is similar to, if not identical to a 7.62x39 bolt.

I didn't have any 7.62 bolts sitting around, so wound up swapping an extractor from a 5.56 bolt. The Beowulf bolt now ejects spent casings and loaded rounds by hand cycling. Will try live fire later this week.

The 5.56 and 7.62 bolt sizes are slightly different, so wasn't sure if the 5.56 extractor would work. I put the 7.62 extractor in the donor 5.56 bolt and it seems to extract and eject 5.56 rounds with no problems...

This is just weird.

Maybe some tolerance stacking in the 7.62/Beowulf upper. It's just enough the other way in your 5.56 that it works. That said, I would still contact the MFR for a replacement bolt. The extractor has a lug on it that locks into the barrel extension. You could get some potential (safety) issues by using a dimensionally different one (5.56).

Back
Top Bottom