• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Fall alert things for elderly?

roundhouse

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
16   0
Reaction score
Need to get one of those things for my 87 year old father.

Y’all have any experience with any of em ?

I’ve heard the Apple Watch has that function but is very complicated ?

We tried the "Fall Alert" as part of the premium in-home monitoring when our mother was living at her home but received too many false alarms.

We had good service and support for the standard in-home monitoring (connects to a landline) from Bay Alarm Medical which included a help console by the phone, a wearable push button on the wrist or necklace and a push button in the bathroom where most falls occur. I think it was about $30 per month.

When she eventually moved to our home there was no issue returning the equipment and canceling the service.

Need to get one of those things for my 87 year old father.

Y’all have any experience with any of em ?

I’ve heard the Apple Watch has that function but is very complicated ?
Google brought these up.

Google brought these up.
Saw that . Figured it was just whoever had paid the most to be included and have nice things said about them .

Im not sure how the fall things actually work but I am under the impression you have to hit a button to call for help? If thats the case why not just get a few amazon Alexas through the house that he can tell to call for help? theyre super simple to work and not expensive

I suppose they are good if they still want to live by themselves. My in laws have them in assisted living and have come in handy. But like it's been said, there are false alarms

Im not sure how the fall things actually work but I am under the impression you have to hit a button to call for help? If thats the case why not just get a few amazon Alexas through the house that he can tell to call for help? theyre super simple to work and not expensive
Automatic fall detection uses sensors such as accelerometers, which detect motion, to identify when the wearer falls and then send an alert to the medical alert company's monitoring center. For this type of alert on these devices, a push of the button is not required.
We tried this type for a few months and received many false alerts.

A digital voice assistant like Alexa may work inside the home, but would be problematic to implement outdoors and mom spent a few hours each day in her garden and yard which was a form of therapy.

None of the systems are perfect, but the in home monitoring allowed mom to be independent for about 3 additional years.

You are fortunate. My dad left a year ago at 80. I miss him a lot.
Well
It all depends on their quality of life .

It’s like the old Beatles song “I hope I die before I get old “

I’ve been in a few nursing homes and I hope i croak before I get in the condition a lot of those folks are In.

My mom passed when she was 81 and she did pretty well up till a few days before she passed .

She was able to stay at home and She only spent two days in hospice .
But she had my dad to help take care of her .

If he regains his strength and mobility , I’d guess he’s got maybe two more years of living by himself,

He recently had major surgery to remove his colon , which apparently had been bleeding into his abdomen for several weeks .
And he’s doing a good recovery . Couple weeks ago he couldn’t stand up and now he can walk short distances like from the bed to the couch .

But he’s also having to deal with a ostomy bag etc
And that’s been a real struggle and stressful for us and for him .

H21ea9a335a0b4caf85490a10cc57cccff.jpg_300x300.jpg

Back
Top Bottom