• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Favorite handgun (or rifle) drills

Back pedaling and shooting at the same time scare me. Well, not me so much as when I watch others doing it.
Increasing space between you and the bad guy is a major benefit during a SD encounter. Practice with an empty weapon until you're comfortable with it.

I even take it a step further and will drop down onto my back while firing. Learn to control the fall.

Draw from the holster and get a shot on target (usually 8 inch steel plate from around ten to twelve yards) as fast as possible.

Strong hand and weak hand only shooting with malfunction clearing. I load dummy rounds into mags at random intervals to simulate misfires.

Shooting while moving forward backwards and side to side.

I don't have any cool names for them though :blue:

Dang! 10 yards is impressive for dot torture man.
Honestly I'm no operator or anything. Do you know what's made the biggest difference for me recently? It's been using a red dot on my pistol. It allows me to focus solely on the target using both eyes -- no switching back and forth between target & front sight. It's very simple... whatever the dot is covering when you move that trigger back -- as long as you don't disturb the sights -- that's where the bullet will go.
Leupold DPP red dot.jpg

Honestly I'm no operator or anything. Do you know what's made the biggest difference for me recently? It's been using a red dot on my pistol. It allows me to focus solely on the target using both eyes -- no switching back and forth between target & front sight. It's very simple... whatever the dot is covering when you move that trigger back -- as long as you don't disturb the sights -- that's where the bullet will go.
View attachment 2072848

Oh so you cheated!!! :boink:
I stick to simple drills like this below,but hard to find volunteers

Oh so you cheated!!! :boink:
I stick to simple drills like this below,but hard to find volunteers
Lol... hey there's no such thing as cheating in a SD encounter. I'll take any little advantage I can get. And I know some advise against using a red dot on your EDC (reliability) but it works for me.

All these look like a lot of fun. My favorite one to shoot is the draw and point shoot at an index card starting at 5 yards. I usually use 4 to 6 rounds, making sure to do one mag change. Sometimes I even setup the gun to malfunction on the first round. After watching the videos on the triple nickel and the air martial drill, I need to invest in a timer to really see how Im doing.

Back
Top Bottom