• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Favorite powder/bullet for .308 hunting load?

squirrel

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
49   0
Reaction score
probably been asked before, but I just picked up a model seven in .308 from another member today. what a light weight quick pointing little bugger it is. 18" barrel.

Was curious, what powders/bullets do you guys like for a generic hunting load?
( whitetail, hogs, occasional black bear)

I was thinking of starting with hornady 165 SP or SST's and some 4064. May even try some 3031 ( lately whatever packs the case full is an easy work up for fairly accurate loads) but I also like clean burning powders for extended range sessions and easy clean up.

thoughts, suggestions?
(I got a tip from a member on R22 and 25-06 recently and man oh man what a shooter that gun is now.Thankyou for that. So if you guys have input, Id surely preciate'ya.)

Last edited:
Varget, 4895, RL 15, Win 748, and 4064 are all excellent powders in the .308. I favor the Sierra family of bullets. The SST's you mentioned, perform very well for me too.

I tend to prefer the 150g GK's and Pro Hunter's from Sierra. I tend to pair them most with RL 15 and Varget. I do like the SST bullets in 165.

When I have a short tube, I tend to start with the faster burning powders to help reduce the blinding muzzle flash.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!
Ill defenitely give R15 a try if it will burn up in the shorttube -I have a good bit on hand (from using it frequently for 30-30 loads using the 125 gr SJHP pro-hunter). The 18" .308 does belch quite a fireball. Any other powders on the quick side you guys can suggest? Ill play with varget but ive heard from numerous sources batch to batch consistancy can be problematic.

oh and excellent link jglenn- good lookin out.

one other question- do you guys ever use 7.62 or .308 military brass (like lake city)? I know the brass is thicker and thus slightly diminished case capacity, but I dont hotrod loads anyway. Im more concerned with consistancy/accuracy. Removing the primer crimps a pita but im sure the brass holds up well.

Last edited:
I use a lot of Lake City .223 brass. I buy it new. I use commercial .308 brass. I prefer Winchester for my hunting stuff. Lapua is my favorite flavor for target rounds.

I found a good deal on all matching head stamp hornady match .308 once fired. may give it a whirl. that or winchester, which is $10 per 100 cheaper.

Ill try to get this thing to the range and post some pictures this week- assuming my new redding dies are here this week ( me and the UPS guy are getting on good terms these days)

Ill try some federal gold medal match primers and also some standard cci 200 large rifle. heards good things about winchester too.

Last edited:
I have had excellent results with inexpensive 147 GR FMJBT Winchester loaded ove 48 Grains of H380. This is from my Lyman's 49th edition and is the starting load as well as the most accurate (according to Lyman #49) for all of their published loadings for 150 Grain Projectiles. My FNAR loves them, but it also seems to love almost every in .308 loading I have fed it ... .75 MOA seems to be the norm for everything, and lots of of it!!! A 20 Round Magazine normally yields a single hole that can easily be covered by a quarter ... AND I'm not that good of a shot!

The H380 meters like water, the beginning load of 48 Grains is an almost full case load and has a history of being the powder used in the now famous Greek 30-06 NATO Loadings.

Back
Top Bottom