FBI going to the 9mm ,here comes the science behind it

As long as the FBI ain't prayin and sprayin at me then I don't care what ammo they're using.

Makes me wonder if they're just going to 9mm because of popularity since a SHTF situation can affect us all.

As long as the FBI ain't prayin and sprayin at me then I don't care what ammo they're using.

Makes me wonder if they're just going to 9mm because of popularity since a SHTF situation can affect us all.

They are switching to 9mm for two reasons:

1) modern bullet design has closed the performance gap and 9mm performs just as well as 40.

2) People tend to shoot 9mm faster and more accurately, meaning their Agents, no matter size, stature or gender will shoot better with 9mm than with 40. It's a common theme for department qualification scores to go up on average when switching to 9mm.

This is something I’ve mentioned in the past when ask why I carry a 9mm G19. The modern 9mm bullet technology has leveled the playing field. When many of the police departments were jumping to .40 S&W, bullet technology was still in its infancy (early 1990's) which helped to fuel the switch-over to .40. PD’s felt bigger was better in the absence of quality bullet designs. Today we have an assortment of modern high-performance 9mm loads that offer better penetration and expansion than loads on the market back in the 1990’s. A modern 9mm easily rivals the best .40 S&W or .45 ACP round in terms of ballistic performance and in real-world shootings.

Many people don’t understand how modern bullet technology has benefited the 9mm. Most .40 and .45 hollow points have historically been able to achieve 12″-18″ of penetration in 10% ballistics gel while offering on average 1.75% expansion — the magical numbers necessary to meet FBI standards. For the 9mm, this hasn’t always been the case. It took many years for bullet technology to evolve to allow the 9mm to achieve the same performance as its bigger brothers. Going past 12″-18″ of penetration is considered a bad thing which is why manufactures aren’t trying to increase the penetration capabilities of .40 and .45, just the 9mm.

The 9mm isn’t just making a comeback in police circles, most of the nations top firearms instructors also prefer 9mm handguns. Here’s a list of a few big names in the training world and their caliber of choice. This list is captured from public sources.

Trainer

Gun(s) / Caliber

Travis Haley Glock 17 9mm (also 9mm M&P)
Massad Ayoob Glock 9mm (.357 Sig & .45)
Chris Costa S&W M&P 9mm
Larry Vickers Glock 17/19 9mm
Gabe Suarez Glock 17 9mm
Rob Pincus 9mm (recommends a variety of handguns in this caliber)
Paul Gomez (RIP) Glock 17/19 9mm
James Yeager Glock 19 9mm
Andy Stanford Glock 19 9mm
Kelly McCann Glock 19 9mm
Jason Falla Glock 17 9mm
Michael Janich Glock 17 9mm
Dave Spaulding Glock 19 9mm (sometimes Ruger SR9c)

Great post!

ArsenalFirearmsAF2011A1DoubleBarrelImage2.jpg

This ^^^

Last time I went to a range 2 APD officers of the non-caucasian persuasion came in and could not hit the paper at 15 feet. Worst shooters I have ever seen. I've seen some Douglas Co. guys come in there and tear it all to pieces, but those Atlanta cops were the worst I have ever seen. Not just saying that either. They really were the worst of the worst...And I've seen some bad ones. If they are expected to protect anyone, I feel sorry for the "protected". I can't understand how they could not hit the paper at 15 feet. WTH were they aiming at/with? They should have been embarrassed, but no, it was easy to tell they thought they were really something....And they were...Pathetic.

That's because the Douglas County Sheriff's Office has, quite possibly, the best Training Division in the State. Really sharp folks.

Back
Top Bottom