• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Fence supplies

Hasselhoss

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
168   0
Reaction score
Home Depot has 8' 4x4 rounded landscape timbers marked down to $1.97. These make great fence posts and are every bit as good as $6-$8 line posts if installed properly. I have some at my old house that have been in the ground for 15+ years and are as good as the day they went in. They also have the dog ear pickets marked down to 1.25. Doesn't get much cheaper than this to build a fence.

I used them to build a fence around my garden. That was a number of years. Dug 18" holes and poured sackreet around them and filled with water. Still standing. They make great fence posts. Good bargain.

Home Depot has 8' 4x4 rounded landscape timbers marked down to $1.97. These make great fence posts and are every bit as good as $6-$8 line posts if installed properly.

I picked up 125 from Lowe's last night for the same price for this purpose. What are you recommendations for proper installation? I am going to be using hogwire to keep in miniature cows.

I picked up 125 from Lowe's last night for the same price for this purpose. What are you recommendations for proper installation? I am going to be using hogwire to keep in miniature cows.
I would get a gallon of exterior paint, pour it in a 5 gallon bucket then add a gallon or water and stir. Now dip each post in the bucket and set aside to dry. That should seal the bottom to keep it from wicking. When you drop it in the hole, add a thin tayer of concrete before you drop it in for the same purpose. Pour water to fill half the hole and tamp with a stick or broom handle. Now keep adding concrete and tamping. Once it's full, level and pack. Dont move it for 24hrs

Here's one I just pulled out of the ground. It was there for 10 years. The outside looks rough but it's cosmetic as you can see in the pic.

images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_04_11_64c1c83a2294c7c3c1165336e36a4128.jpg

I got pretty lucky. When I built my fence I got the contractor discount at lowes cause I needed 1400 of the dog eared fence boards and then I got a military discount on top of that. Paid 87 cents a piece for the boards. This was 2012 so it was a steal.

Pour water to fill half the hole and tamp with a stick or broom handle. Now keep adding concrete and tamping. Once it's full, level and pack. Dont move it for 24hrs

At $2.55 per bag of cement, that would get expensive pretty quickly. I wonder how well just the exterior paint would protect the post?

At $2.55 per bag of cement, that would get expensive pretty quickly. I wonder how well just the exterior paint would protect the post?
I use 30 lbs per post. Quikrete is $1.89 for a 60lb bag. That's an extra 95 cents per post. On line posts you can use 10-15lbs per post and reserve the 30 lbs for corner posts and joints.

Back
Top Bottom