Finally completely set up and reloading.

BkBigKid

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
240   0
Reaction score
I started my quest to get into reloading in January this year. I ordered a single stage press, dies and bullets from Midway. That order finally came in late march. During that time from order to delivery I looked for primers brass and powder locally. Found the primer and brass fairly easy, powder has been a bear to find! Finally had to go outside the book recommendations and searched the web based on powders I could find locally. I settled on Reddot for 38 loads. Which is all I am doing at the moment. (Light loads for the women of the house)

Even with the panic buying everything can be find with some patience and luck.

First 50 rounds fired beautifully.
Now I have 231 loaded waiting on my women to find some time to hit the range with me.

My load
3.0 gn of reddot
125 gn cast bullet
Cci primer

Light recoil and accurate out of the snub nose 38

Last edited:
I started my quest to get into reloading in January this year. I ordered a single stage press, dies and bullets from Midway. That order finally came in late march. During that time from order to delivery I looked for primers brass and powder locally. Found the primer and brass fairly easy, powder has been a bear to find! Finally had to go outside the book recommendations and searched the web based on powders I could find locally. I settled on Reddot for 38 loads. Which is all I am doing at the moment. (Light loads for the women of the house)

Even with the panic buying everything can be find with some patience and luck.

First 50 rounds fired beautifully.
Now I have 231 loaded waiting on my women to find some time to hit the range with me.

My load
3.0 gn of reddot
125 gn cast bullet
Cci primer

Light recoil and accurate out of the snub nose 38

Very nice. I use 3.2 of Titegroup for the same bullet and it is nice and soft.

Congratulations! It is always good to see another handloader join the fold. Problem is as you are finding out, this is a terrible time to start. LOL! Those of us that have been doing this a while have probably horded and bought on sale and ain't hurting for supplies. Just don't give up supplies will come back once the manufacturers catch up. If I had some of the powder you wanted I would help you out. Hang in there.

Welcome to the reloading world.
I run 2.8gr red dot behind a 125gr cast rnfp for cowboy action with a Fed 100 primer.

Using red dot with 9mm, 38 Spec. and 45ACP

Thanks everyone I had some help from non ODT friends.

I havent run into any metering problems with the red dot as several web sights. Say that you might run into. So far other than having to hunt for everything it hasnt been a terriblely bad adventure. I only wished I had started years ago.

Good note is my lee 9mm dies came in today. I hadn't shoot any 9mm since last. December when the panic started. Guess I can start shooting a few of thoose now that I can reload them.

And my next set of dies will be 45acp. And a better scale the lee safety powder scale isn't what I consider to be user friendly or accurate enough.
On back order of course!

You will get used to the scale, they are accurate if you can read the tiny numbers. I keep magnifying glass next to mine.

My manual makes a point of saying not to keep large possibly magnetic objects nears the scale.

I too load a 125 cast boolit for the Airweight. I like a charge of 3.5 grains of Hogdon Clays (Not Universal Clays or International Clays, just Clays). It is a max load. Shoots kind of hot, but very well to the sights. Pretty loud too!

I am a new reloader as well (been pulling the handle since 1998). I have seen component ups and downs through the years and I believe this too shall pass. Powder will again be available, jacketed bullets, primers etc. will be easier to find in a little while. OTOH Red Dot (or any of the Dots) is an excellent powder. Great for the .38 Special and .45 ACP.

Back
Top Bottom