• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First AR Build - going 5.45x39 - opinions needed

There's nothing wrong with a frankengun as far as ARs are concerned. My frankenguns lock up tighter and shoot just as well as my factory builds. As long as you go with reputable manufacturers for parts, you should be good. Now, if you're selling/trading on the odt...well...that's another story.

From my experience, frankenguns won't fetch the same value with some users because they won't know if it'll run.

Thanks for all the good info...especially the Tulammo warning. I know a place that has it cheap...so knowing to avoid it is definitely a good thing.

Might be a couple of months before the building begins...but that gives me time to figure it all out.

I'm leaning towards the RRA LPK...just because I can somewhat customize what I get in terms of grip. Like I said, probably the ACE stock, A1/A2 buffer tube...and obivously after reading this the heavy Spikes buffer. Not looking to slide-fire yet...but good to know how to make it happen.

There's nothing wrong with a frankengun as far as ARs are concerned. My frankenguns lock up tighter and shoot just as well as my factory builds. As long as you go with reputable manufacturers for parts, you should be good. Now, if you're selling/trading on the odt...well...that's another story.

From my experience, frankenguns won't fetch the same value with some users because they won't know if it'll run.

Yeah...not looking to sell this thing whole once it's finished. I know the resell value is not going to be what a factory gun will bring. The lower is going to be one of the second run of ODT lowers, in a number special to me. So the lower will probably be mine for a while. The upper I might sell off if I decide to run something else...but heck - I gotta build this one first. ;)

This is my test run with the AR platform...if I like it, I'll probably start saving my pennies (a LOT of pennies) so I can buy a factory-built RRA LAR-47. That gun has my interest already...7.62x39 is one of my favorite rounds, and that is about the only way to shoot it reliably from an AR platform from what I have read.

Keep the thoughts coming - I appreciate them all!

Are you only assembeling the lower or are you going to build your upper as well? I would go 5.56/ .223..... more options with a .22 conversion bolt..... cheaper to trane with.. The fundamentals of marksmanship are the same.....Cant to that with another caliber..

I have a S&W 5.45 DI upper sitting on I don't even know what lower with a standard buffer and heavy hammer spring and it runs like a top. Currently it is wearing a slidefire, but normally it wears a magpul moe stock and grip.

Cleaning with a piston gun is not going to be any easier. Corrosive salts will still need to be removed from your BCG, chamber, upper and lower. They won't be there in the volume that they would be with a DI gun, but you will need to still clean those parts in the exact same manner.

I would never recommend a piston gun unless it is designed around the piston not the other way around. Piston conversions like the AA offer nothing but more points of failure and extra stuff to worry about. Sure, they run cleaner, but since your shooting corrosive ammo you will still need to clean the exact same way.

Feel free to PM me some more with any questions you may have.

I know the smith uppers are around $550 the Adams are more like $650, That's an expensive 1st build

Midway has the AA's for sale like you said for $650. But they're always having sales. I just checked my emails. I got mine for $565.63 shipped after discounts.

Back
Top Bottom