First AR Upper build - a few questions...

smokymtnsmoke

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
91   0
Reaction score
I have a new, never assembled upper I'm building out to a .300 Blackout. I just got the new barrel from a great ODT memeber yesterday.

First does anyone in the NW Ga area have a upper assembly vice/tool I could borrow or come to you and use at your location to assemble my upper?

Second, should the barrel slide easily into the upper or is it OK that some bit of tapping in required to set the barrel all the way back?

Is a drop of oil OK to use on the barrel to help it slide on back?

Do you all use white lithium grease on the upper thread at the barrel nut? If not then what alternatives are a good choice?

I just ordered the Yankee Hill YHM-9430A, gas tube, etc and it should be here next week for me to complete it.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

I have a new, never assembled upper I'm building out to a .300 Blackout. I just got the new barrel from a great ODT memeber yesterday.

First does anyone in the NW Ga area have a upper assembly vice/tool I could borrow or come to you and use at your location to assemble my upper? A pair of hardwood (not pine or 2x4) blocks works well. I've used the same pair of red oak blocks (1x4x5") for about 7 years
Second, should the barrel slide easily into the upper or is it OK that some bit of tapping in required to set the barrel all the way back? Chec k that you're not marring the anodizing, otherwise it should be o.k. Usually it's a slip fit.

Is a drop of oil OK to use on the barrel to help it slide on back?Won't hurt but see next

Do you all use white lithium grease on the upper thread at the barrel nut? If not then what alternatives are a good choice? anti-sieze stick or fluid on the threads. It stays in place and won't burn off when you shoot like grease. I bought a stick at the autozone years ago and still have 80% of it.

I just ordered the Yankee Hill YHM-9430A, gas tube, etc and it should be here next week for me to complete it.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

See above

Back
Top Bottom