First attempt at force-aging a bladeblade

synspeed

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
74   0
Reaction score
Sorry about the title typo. This is one of my smaller prototypes, back from heat treat. Decided to try my hand at force-aging/patina. Took out to a 220 grit finish first before aging.
Before:
20151119_171942.jpg
After:
20151119_173805.jpg

Sorry about the title typo. This is one of my smaller prototypes, back from heat treat. Decided to try my hand at force-aging/patina. Took out to a 220 grit finish first before aging.
Before:
View attachment 595652 After: View attachment 595656
What did you use? I've done hot vinegar before turns out a nice gray. Rub down with 000 steel wool, repeat.

What did you use? I've done hot vinegar before turns out a nice gray. Rub down with 000 steel wool, repeat.
Dumped out my case tumbler, threw in 5lbs of ceramic tumbling media and 1/2 a bottle of Must For Rust. Tumbled for 15 minutes. Got the idea from Shawn Hatcher (hatcherknives.com).

Dumped out my case tumbler, threw in 5lbs of ceramic tumbling media and 1/2 a bottle of Must For Rust. Tumbled for 15 minutes. Got the idea from Shawn Hatcher (hatcherknives.com).
Lol, but all that work on the satin finish is gone.

Damn you got a tumbler too?! If you weren't in kennesaw, I'd be making all my knives in your shop!

I have a stainless item that I want to change the appearance of. Any suggestions? (I don't mean to hijack the thread )

Back
Top Bottom