First elk hunt

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
Grass Plains, MT

I had 2 cow elk tags.

Hunted this past Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. Humped a lotta hills, and a lotta miles.

On Tuesday we had stalked 2 herds and got blown. I could have cleanly shot at least 6 bulls, 2 of which were truly massive.

Late in the day, we spot a third group on the opposite ridge, about 1400yds away. It had been snowing for several hours now.

Down our ridge, across the valley, staying to the gulleys and low spots. Finally, came up the other side, approximately 400 yards from where they were bedded down. Couldn’t get any closer, as we were in the last stand of trees.

Laid my pack across the limb of a ponderosa pine, and lined up for a head shot on a bedded down cow (turned out to be a yearling bull). At 400yds, I took the shot. Heard the impact, but got little reaction. Worked the bolt and prepared to send another one, when several cows started standing up, blocking a follow-up shot.

I transferred to a large cow and put a round behind the leg. I heard the impact, but she started to walk away. I worked the bolt and hit her again in the same spot.

Got ‘em both. By the time we had them gutted and back to the cabin, it was snowing heavily and well past dark.

Time of my life.

Weatherby 307 .280 Ackley Improved

Choice Ammunition 160grn Accubond

Nightforce NXS Compact 2.5-10x32mm

Silencerco Omega 300 suppressor

IMG_9329.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom