First Forced Patina

Bought an ESEE-3 from a member a while back. Got a great deal, primarily because someone had taken sandpaper or a Teflon pad to the ESEE logo on the left side of the blade.

I touched it up with a gun touch up marker, made it better but it bothered me. Functionally the knife is awesome. I just didn't like to look at it.

So, yesterday I got a burr under my saddle and stripped the coating from the knife. Washed and dried it then stabbed an onion right in the heart. My wife thought I was nuts. Before going to the Cabela's sale this morning, I pulled the knife out, washed it, dried it and plunged it back into the onion; taking care to try to keep the pattern in a similar direction.

After coming home I pulled the knife out, washed and dried it , then suspended the handle into a glass of white apple vinegar. I secured the knife with tape in order to keep the ESEE-3 and ROWEN etching aligned just under the surface of the vinegar. About an hour and a half later I pulled it out for a final washing and drying.

This was my first attempt at forcing a patina. Probably wouldn't have done it if the logo hadn't been trashed. However, I'm pleased with the results. Now I know what to do with my blades when the coating starts to wear off.

What do you think?

Before:

View attachment 389077 View attachment 389078

After:

View attachment 389080
View attachment 389081

Finished:

View attachment 389082 View attachment 389083

Nicely Done
Cider Vinegar and Mustard soaked Papertowel give a great textured result.

Back
Top Bottom