• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First time polishing internals...

jjrock

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
64   0
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've recently acquired a Sig P938. I want to replace the plastic trigger and figured while I'm at if I could polish any parts that are metal on metal. In general, what are those parts? I know not to get carried away with polishing and change the shape of anything but that's about all I know. Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't know anyone who has done that particular gun, but since it is based on a 1911, a good bit of the 1911 advice should carry over. Do some YouTubing for videos. Then do some more. Then more. Make sure you only polish and don't remove metal unless you are very confident in what you are doing. Unlike a 1911, if you screw up a part, replacements are not readily available.

Start with any place the trigger bar contacts metal.

Thanks Cobalt. I have watched some videos on 1911 trigger work and will watch some more. I was just unsure about polishing the sear and disconnect?

Any good metal polish will do. Flitz is a good one. Do it by hand - don't use a dremel. I usually take the cloth that I am using to polish parts with and pull it taut over a flat surface with a sharp right angle. Gives you a good flat surface so you will get even results.

Also, any recommendations on a polish to use?

Don't use sandpaper, file or grinding stone of any kind on the seer or trigger mating surfaces unless you know exactly what you are doing and have spare parts in case you screw it up. It will remove the surface case hardening and cause them to fail prematurely. It is OK to use rouge and a polishing wheel on those surfaces but don't grind them down.

Don't use sandpaper, file or grinding stone of any kind on the seer or trigger mating surfaces unless you know exactly what you are doing and have spare parts in case you screw it up. It will remove the surface case hardening and cause them to fail prematurely. It is OK to use rouge and a polishing wheel on those surfaces but don't grind them down.

Thanks guys!

Any good metal polish will do. Flitz is a good one. Do it by hand - don't use a dremel. I usually take the cloth that I am using to polish parts with and pull it taut over a flat surface with a sharp right angle. Gives you a good flat surface so you will get even results.

Thanks Cobalt! Thought I had this multi-quote thing down for replying. Guess not.

Back
Top Bottom