First time reloading, first batch question. OAL and OAW differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the range and shot the loads. I was able to recover 11 of the spent cases for examination. All appear to be in good structural shape but do appear dirtier then usual. Out of all the rounds I had 3 instances where the ejecting case would get hung up against the "live" round popping up.Caused the slide to get hung up. Seems like an issue of not enough pressure to push the slide back fast enough. Am I correct? I have another entire grain before I reach max load grains. Should I increase by a few tenths? Does my reasoning sound correct?

Sounds ok but what pistol are you launching these rounds out. The reason I ask, I have had problems reloading for Glock 9mm's. The issues occur with 115 grain bullets and faster powders that tend to make a reliable Glock 9mm pistol into a jam-o-matic. My fix was to stop buying 115 grain bullets and stick with 124 grain bullets.

You can load 124 grainers sub-sonic if that's your bag baby-(in my best Austin Powers voice).

Also this will give you an idea of fastest to slowest of powders grouped together as a whole: http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

Last edited:
Shooting out of a Glock 17.

Will try the heavier bullet and see what results I get. Have not had problems with 115gn factory though.

It should help and hopefully get you a reliable loading.

The factory 115 grainers run like a dream but faster powders like the 231 may give you head aches in a polymer frame Glock. The same loading in an all steel gun should do fine. If the heavier bullet doesn't cure it 100% then look to a slower powder.

I have used many powders for 9mm and I used 231 years ago due to its easy metering/flowing. I went to Accurate Arms simply due to cost and powder flow character but it's a really good powder too. AA# 2 is close to the fast burn rate of 231. AA#5 is a bit slower and I prefer it over AA #2 when shooting suppressed 147 grain bullets. The fast burn rate of AA#2 spikes peak pressure rapidly and beats the hell out of brass when suppressed. Both AA#2 and #5 are economy powders.

AA#7 is slower still and has a good history of being an optimal powder for 9mm but one does use more of it to fill the case and it is more costly. I'd shoot it for competition but stick to the faster powders for plinking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom