• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Try at a Springer 1911

3sport

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
25   0
Reaction score
I had a mil-spec 1911 for sale on here a few weeks ago. I didn't like it because the hammer pinched my skin between it and the grip safety. After much deliberation I decided to keep it and do a little customization, so I bought a Wilson Combat drop in beaver tail...That's when the fun started.

The new grip safety didn't allow the stock hammer all the way back, so I went to WC and ordered a match trigger, another full-fit grip safety, and a skeletonized hammer.... The trigger (gold cup) I got was too wide, and won't fit, so I picked up one at a local shop (long pad), and realized I needed a short pad when I got home... Another trip to LGS for correct trigger.

I went to work on the fit for the grip safety fit, and after my first pass with the dremel my sphincter loosened up and finished it up. The fit is really tight. There are a couple areas that I am smoothing out, but overall I am pleased with how it is turning out. I have also learned quite a bit about 1911's in the process. I'm actually looking for a Colt now, this is addicting.

after an order to brownells for a new hammer strut and pin, and some desert sand / black cerakote, she will hopefully be done this weekend.

here are a couple pictures:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Indeed the most humbling and yet gratifying experience is true gunsmith work on your own 1911. Many trips to the LGS and much internet time has been utilized in the past on my 1911 projects. Looking good, stay on it and check it all 3 times after you make a change.

Indeed the most humbling and yet gratifying experience is true gunsmith work on your own 1911. Many trips to the LGS and much internet time has been utilized in the past on my 1911 projects. Looking good, stay on it and check it all 3 times after you make a change.

Yes this is definitely a fun experience. I got my Brownells shipment yesterday, so I'll be cerakot'n this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom