fitting 1911 parts for the beginner

insulinboy

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
36   0
Reaction score
I'm building up a RIA 1911 A2 (what they call their double stack 1911) and I'm going to be fitting new sights (something I'm already practiced and confident at) as well as the weapon needs a new sear spring (as someone bent the one in it several times to try to lighten the trigger and its a little fubar) and I'm going to fit an extended thumb safety (so that when I draw its easier to sweep off)

The gun is NOT to be carried and is to be used in competition and range time only.

I'm wondering what people think about me doing the sear spring and safety by myself (eventually I will also swap out the beaver tail and mainspring housing) as I am fairly new to actually replacing parts on 1911's (though I am firmiliar about disasembly/reassemble of factory assembled 1911's all the way down to the bare frame for cleaning. I am a little anal about firearm cleaning) I know that actually fitting new parts is a completely different animal though and wanted to get some more knowledgeable opinions on me getting my feet wet with installing these new parts or should I just take it to a smith?

I'm not afraid to go all in on this when I get it started and get my hands dirty, and if needs be when I realize it might be more than I should be doing to take it to a smith so I'm not apprehensive about doing the work or anything, just want to see if its something newbie appropriate or if I should start with something else

Perfect time to learn. Buy the right tools and go for it.
You'll still have all the stock parts to reinstall if it doesn't go well.
Tons of books and videos on 1911 tuning.

I've been building AR's so I have a nice set of Starrett punches and roll pin punches. I still would like a few things. Small brass hammer, and some nylon punches and other small tools. But I've been in the R/C business building and repairing as well as racing 1/10th and 1/8th scales for the last 5 years so I do have a fairly good assortment of small scale tools for that that transfer over and do double duty. I just like having complete sets of tools for each hobby so I don't have to remember to put things back someplace else so I have them where I need them next time

I'm not an expert, but my brother in law is. When he speaks of filling the individual parts to be fitted together.
He describes a process of holding the part, a file, and a glass plate, so that the surface being filed is perfectly perpendicular to the file, and sliding the part back and forth on the glass.

I would do a little research on the technique. Apparently it's the ticket to the best fit.

My 2 cents anyways.

I do have some files. Still need some stones, and yes I have several dremels and they come in quite handy thank you much :-p I do though know enough to not use them for fitting parts. Handy for polishing feed ramps but that's all I use them for as far as working on guns.

Back
Top Bottom