• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fitting a new CZ 75 barrel

drsmile

Default rank <2000 posts Sponsor
Master Extractor
162   0
Reaction score
So my brother sends me his 75 with a new barrel that is not drop in. Breach face and lugs seem oversized. Anyone have a trick or is willing to help me adjust the lower lug? I got the barrel to seat into the slide beautifully, but slide won't go into battery with slide lock in place. The lower lug is too large and needs to have some material removed. Help or suggestions....

Thx

Candle soot the barrel on the contact points, observe where the contact is that prevents lockup, remove tiny amounts with a small set of jeweler's files, fit, refit until it finally locks up-go no father! This is a hand fit barrel that should give you exceptional accuracy.

I have tried lipstick, dykem blue, black marker and only the candle soot will reflect the faintest contact that I can easily detect.

For stability, the barrel is like a three legged stool all three contact points front, rear top and rear bottom need to make firm contact at lockup or maximum accuracy is difficult to obtain.

Thx. I will do that tomm. The black ink was doing nothing. I have some indelible markers and margin checker at work (used to check fit of crowns on teeth), I will try that also.

I stoned the face of the breech face where there were high spots and got it down nicely. I have never adjust a lower lug to the extent this seems to need. I may need to rig up a sort of jig to keep the barrel firmly in place while I file/use my hand piece at work to remove material. Trying to remove material from the back inside of the lug evenly without something holding it true may be difficult...

Thx. I will do that tomm. The black ink was doing nothing. I have some indelible markers and margin checker at work (used to check fit of crowns on teeth), I will try that also.

I stoned the face of the breech face where there were high spots and got it down nicely. I have never adjust a lower lug to the extent this seems to need. I may need to rig up a sort of jig to keep the barrel firmly in place while I file/use my hand piece at work to remove material. Trying to remove material from the back inside of the lug evenly without something holding it true may be difficult...

A padded vice works well for holding still but towards the end you will just be taking a few file strokes to the contact points using soot from the candle, then refitting, rechecking many times until it just pops in. It's a great feeling and better when shooting it observing the great accuracy obtained for this painstaking tedious process.

Hey you could even use candle soot for fitting crowns..... Oh but patients may not tolerate a burning candle in their mouth....:p

Pmma (polymethylmethacrylate) aka dental acrylic is great for making jigs, I do it everyday in mouths. I never thought of using it with a vice. Think I will pour up one with the barrel tomm, use the lathe to block it out for the vice and see how it goes. Thx for turning some gears.

Before you work on the lower lug and once you have it going into the slide, look down the barrel with the firing pin removed with a light behind the rear of the slide. See if the firing pin hole is in the middle of the barrel. If it happens to be high in the chamber you may need to remove some metal from the top lug area--before you fit the lower lug.

Back
Top Bottom