Flea repellent for fido? What do you use that actually works?

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
Flea and tick repellent- I have tried a few of the natural ones but they do not seem to work very well. Tried vinegar in the water, garlic tabs and diatomaceous earth and this does not work well either. Trying to avoid pesticides but it's looking like nothing else will work. What do you use that works?

I really want to stay away from feeding my dog pesticides if at all possible. Not knocking those that do its just my preference.
If I cannot find something that works then pesticides are the only answer.

Try treating where they are getting the fleas from. Call "Flea Busters" to treat the yard with nematodes. It really works better than any pesticide I have ever tried and lasts for at least a year. If you have carpets inside they can also do an effective treatment in the house with another product that is non toxic. If you mostly have hardwood floors, try the Raid Fumigator (NOT THE FOGGER!!!). It will kill 99% of them first try, but does not kill the eggs, so you need to use it for the entire house once a week for four weeks in a row. To get them off the dogs, use Capstar. It will kill every flea on them in about two hours, but does not have any residual effect. Time when you use the Capstar to fit with when you get rid of the fleas everywhere else. You will probably need to use it several times as you work through the process.

I know this sounds like a real pain, but I have never found a product that you put on the dog that will keep them flea free if there are colonies of fleas in their regular environment.

Back
Top Bottom