• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Flip to side optics

zracin

Default rank <1250 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
71   0
Reaction score
I see flip to side magnifiers, , but never optics. I'm assuming the challenge is holding zero. But it seems that a quality manufacturer could come up with something that would index itself with a QD type of attachment as a hold. While I like the concept of QD red dots, if I ever needed to remove it and use iron sights I wouldn't want to have to necessarily drop it, carry it, or stow it away. I wish they just had a QD mount that when loosen would flip to the side (think canted position) and stay on the rifle. Maybe it exists, and I haven't seen it...thoughts?

The optic, to have return to zero would be an engineering nightmare, it would require lots of indication to make sure the dot would reset in the correct location and also any dust dirt or debris that builds up on the mount would prevent it from setting properly.
that combined with the fact most red dots are 2 moa or better would cause the POA POI shift to be magnified.

probably the best option to suffice your requirements would be offset irons leaving the optic on the rifle but maintaining a unobstructed sight picture through irons.

or you could run a red dot on top with offset RMR

truth to be told the rule is 2 sighting systems on a “fighting rifle” (traditionally this is optic and BUIS but offset RMR Or Micro red dot type optics are the rage now)

if your red dot is set up properly, you can use buis freely
That is true but a failure of the emitter or dead battery isnt the only reason to transition to irons. Maybe the optic is covered in mud or the glass had shattered to the point you can’t look through it clearly, at such time stripping the dot off is the way

I see flip to side magnifiers, , but never optics. I'm assuming the challenge is holding zero. But it seems that a quality manufacturer could come up with something that would index itself with a QD type of attachment as a hold. While I like the concept of QD red dots, if I ever needed to remove it and use iron sights I wouldn't want to have to necessarily drop it, carry it, or stow it away. I wish they just had a QD mount that when loosen would flip to the side (think canted position) and stay on the rifle. Maybe it exists, and I haven't seen it...thoughts?

Good Sunday morning..

FTS Optics would be easy to do as they would be the same optics that may or not be in your possession now... the issue becomes the mechanism in wich that optic is employed...

Clarification: if not referring to the firearm, I’m referring to the mount in which that optic resides in..

The optic is not- not the issue..

The mount would have to be honed in such extreme tight tolerances that there would be zero movement/ shift from the attachment point of the mount to the weapon platform your placing it on, zero “wiggle” in the portion that FTS as well as how the optic is cratered in the mount..

This concept all comes down to that optic consistently returning to zero.

The only movement piece would be the FTS portion. I have been issued the EOTech system, (512 and magnifier in Afghanistan) after 6 months the mount for the mags fire did not lock anymore and proved to be worthless for use so I took it off.

Having something of what your asking would prove to be a game changer for some end-users in the LE and Mil world. I would imagine slime thing like this may help the competition scene, IDK.

I’d love for some companies to try this it would be kind of cool.

Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is true but a failure of the emitter or dead battery isnt the only reason to transition to irons. Maybe the optic is covered in mud or the glass had shattered to the point you can’t look through it clearly, at such time stripping the dot off is the way
And thus, we have qd mounts

Back
Top Bottom