• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Fly fishing tackle.....for pond fishing

mhayes

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
43   0
Reaction score
i haven't been fly fishin in a long time. 18 years or so. But when I was out with the kids this weekend at our farm pond I got to thinking. Wouldn't it be nice to have a fly rod and fish this pond for crappie,bass and shell crackers. Only problem is I have no idea where to start. I was with a guide using his equipment the one and only time I went. Can anyone give me some ideas on what I would need for such a thing? Don't won't a expensive set up so what kind of tackle would work for me here? Thanks

That's kinda of a loaded question because not expensive for fly rods is about $100 for a rod and $50 for the reel. Then you have line and baker, another $50. Pm me and I'll send you my number. Call me and we can talk about a few good options.

Ok, so just getting back to this thread. So Troutman, 150 ish doesn't bother me. That's kinda what I was thinking it would take. But I also forgot to mention that there are some Bass and pretty good size ones at that in these same ponds. Now I don't plan on fishing for them, but that doesn't mean a 4 or 5 lber won't hit my lure. Now I will be fishing for crappie and shell crackers. What does 6 or 8 weight mean? What kind of backing and leader do I need? Also any ideas or options on lures that would be great. Thanks

6 to 8 weight rods are pretty heavy duty. I use a 7 weight for reds in appalachicola bay when we go on vacation and have landed a few in the 30 lb range with it. I have caught 6-8 lb largemouth with my 4 weight with no problem, just more fun fighting them. There is nothing wrong with using a heavier weight rod, but think of it as realing in bream with a heavy bass rod. The fun is in the fight.

If you get a complete outfit from cabelas or bass pro, it will come with backing and fly line already spooled. You will need a leader which attaches to the fly line and your fly ties to it. Get a few. 2-3x for bass, 4-6x for panfish. You will need a few spools of tippet (which is thin fishing line) for when your leader gets short from breaking and changing flies. Don't get stressed out trying to figure out the best leader/ tippet combo like I did. Watch a few YouTube videos and just have fun fishing.

As far as flies, try different color and size wooly buggers for everything. They mimic a baitfish. Try different patterns of crickets, grasshoppers and beatles for pan fish.

For bass try larger streamers, even salt water patterns, and popping bugs. The poppers are top water and are a lot of fun to fish with.

If you would like to call me let me know. I can explain things better talking than typing.

Have the guy at Bass pro or Cabela tie a 2 to 2.5 foot 20lbs mono (Butt section) to the fly line with a nail.knot, put a loop at the other end of the line. With this you can change out leader section with out re-tying to the fly line, make loop in leader 8-12 lbs loop into Butt section, leader line should be around 6', with 2ft of butt and leader that will give ya 8 ft, plenty of leader.

mhayes, check out this thread on GON from when I put together my farm pond fly setup. I think it'll get you where you need to be. Mine is an 8ft Shakespeare 5wt with a cheap graphite reel and some cheap line and popping bugs from Wal-mart. Probably have less than $50 in the whole setup. The fish don't mind, though. You can get away with 4LB Mono instead of a real leader/tippet setup when fishing for panfish/bass vs trout. They are nearly as wary.

Setup: http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=690232&highlight=
Results: http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=759754&highlight=

Back
Top Bottom