• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

folks at the "old"site"

I like to lurk and read and *rarely* post anywhere (trying to decrease my digital footprint). That being said, this sight is much more fun to lurk.

I am definitely a lurker when it isn't my site. I probably have 20 posts total in my life on other forums.

It was actually discussed to do just what you suggested, but the decision was made to not do it. Ultimately it is about the original intent. GON was started as a place to discuss the outdoors, not as a S&S site. It got to the point that the S&S was taking over.

This site was started as a S&S site. Again I congratulate Steve and Burdy for filling an opening when they saw it. Therein lies the difference. Different intents.

And to address the comment about I-Trader numbers, feedback or how many deals that were done has absolutely nothing to do with the classification of a "dealer" over there. Never did. Bob has over 10000 posts on the forum. Less than 25% of them are/were in the S&S section. Therefore, he is classified as a "contributing member who did a lot of swapping and selling". However, if you have 500 posts and 499 are in the S&S, you are not a contributing member. Therefore you are classified as a dealer.

See the difference?

Yeah the driveler posts, the multiple gathering threads - all about the same gathering, with the same handful of people that show up is probably what Woody intended when he started his site. What about people that only post in the political or spiritual forum? Maybe they should be banned. Maybe the ones that choose to only post in the Sports should be banned. What about the members that have been posting help wanted ads? Why do the admins overlook them, as member services for this type of posting was axed with the s&s.
The real problem over there lies with poor management plain and simple. All the dribble over having to delete posts etc is an excuse. You get tired of it relinquish your mod duties and drive on. If the other place took care of the violators with swift extreme prejudice, many problems would have been avoided.
What did happen is you have an admin who is an accountant and thinks like an accountant and the only solution he knows is to add more rules for what he perceives as a problem. Add to this he never has liked the idea of swap and sell and it is a recipe for disaster.
Yes I used the other swap and sell quite a bit and have never received any infractions, nor been banned, but the problem was not with the members it was with the people chosen to lead, who are not qualified to lead.

As to do I see a difference - no your attempt to spin or reason why or how is ludicrous.

Yeah the driveler posts, the multiple gathering threads - all about the same gathering, with the same handful of people that show up is probably what Woody intended when he started his site. What about people that only post in the political or spiritual forum? Maybe they should be banned. Maybe the ones that choose to only post in the Sports should be banned. What about the members that have been posting help wanted ads? Why do the admins overlook them, as member services for this type of posting was axed with the s&s.
The real problem over there lies with poor management plain and simple. All the dribble over having to delete posts etc is an excuse. You get tired of it relinquish your mod duties and drive on. If the other place took care of the violators with swift extreme prejudice, many problems would have been avoided.
What did happen is you have an admin who is an accountant and thinks like an accountant and the only solution he knows is to add more rules for what he perceives as a problem. Add to this he never has liked the idea of swap and sell and it is a recipe for disaster.
Yes I used the other swap and sell quite a bit and have never received any infractions, nor been banned, but the problem was not with the members it was with the people chosen to lead, who are not qualified to lead.

As to do I see a difference - no your attempt to spin or reason why or how is ludicrous.

I don't agree with the way the swap and sell closing was handled but I do understand why it was done. I admittedly have very limited knowledge in the origin of GON, but from what I have heard, it was founded as a discussion forum, not a classifieds forum. I have been running this site for nearly three months and I already can see how frustrating it must be for them having so much traffic going towards an area of the site that was not part of the original intent.

Steve you are doing a greatjob.....I have no doubt it takes a toll on you and your family. Thanks again for such a GREAT site!!! Personal though, all talk of the other site should just be dropped. We here did not need any of them coming here because they say they heard we said this and that, much easier to just move on and this site is for SURE HEADED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!!

Steve you are doing a greatjob.....I have no doubt it takes a toll on you and your family. Thanks again for such a GREAT site!!! Personal though, all talk of the other site should just be dropped. We here did not need any of them coming here because they say they heard we said this and that, much easier to just move on and this site is for SURE HEADED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!!

Ditto- All of the Admin/Mods here are great, as well as the site.

Aye..noted.

I like both sites, but I lurked about a lot longer on GON before logging on than I have so far on ODT. Maybe the topics here are more compelling, or the talk is more inviting.

Back
Top Bottom