• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

For AC techs: Daughter moved into a duplex and 3 days later AC unit outside quit running. 4yr old Carrier unit

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
The outside unit quit running. Fan does not move and the compressor does not come on. Inside unit fan blows air and thermostat has power. 3amp fuse to inside unit is good. 250V to the disconnect outside.

Landlord sent over this service company I wouldn't let fix my toilet but thats who they've contracted through to make repairs. This company shows up today and tells my daughter the freon has leaked out of this 4yr old unit and that's the problem. He claims to have ordered a part which won't get here until Tuesday. My fear is that the part gets here and won't fix the problem so they will not have AC again.

My questions:
The outside unit fan isn't running and neither is the compressor. regardless whether there is freon or not these should run. I think its a bad contactor or capacitor.

The outside unit quit running. Fan does not move and the compressor does not come on. Inside unit fan blows air and thermostat has power. 3amp fuse to inside unit is good. 250V to the disconnect outside.

Landlord sent over this service company I wouldn't let fix my toilet but thats who they've contracted through to make repairs. This company shows up today and tells my daughter the freon has leaked out of this 4yr old unit and that's the problem. He claims to have ordered a part which won't get here until Tuesday. My fear is that the part gets here and won't fix the problem so they will not have AC again.

My questions:
The outside unit fan isn't running and neither is the compressor. regardless whether there is freon or not these should run. I think its a bad contactor or capacitor.
You are correct, I’ve replaced mine several times. There is the chance it could be the contacter as well. Mine was killed by a praying mantis. It’s easy enough to diagnose with a volt meter

My questions:
Not always true, could have pressure switches holding it out or other safeties. I can’t stand Freon it’s refrigerant. I would’ve asked where the leak was and also to get a copy of the work ticket

Not always true, could have pressure switches holding it out or other safeties. I can’t stand Freon it’s refrigerant. I would’ve asked where the leak was and also to get a copy of the work ticket

Correct, could be a bad pressure switch or it could be in a low pressure lockout

My questions:
The outside unit fan isn't running and neither is the compressor. regardless whether there is freon or not these should run. I think its a bad contactor or capacitor most older

Back
Top Bottom