• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ford F-150 problem

1coolhand

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
150   0
Reaction score
O.k. guys
Need some help from any and all mechanics, especially any of you guys that might work for a FORD dealership . Last September we purchased a 2010 F-150 and have enjoyed having the truck and everything about it. Well, this past Saturday I was driving the truck and pulled up to a stop light and the truck suddenly shut off, no indication, hesitation or anything. It does still have a warranty and I plan on taking the truck back to have them check it out, but everything I have read online about this issue seems to say the dealer "could not duplicate the problem". If any of you have had this experience or know someone that has, We would appreciate any all info you might have about it. My wife and kids are in this truck everyday and I need to get this taken care asap.
Thanks,
1coolhand

I'm no mechanic but i do work at a ford dealership.. There a couple of preliminary questions to ask, Did the check engine light come on when the engine stalled. Did the truck start back up? Has the issue happened more than once? any detailed information will help I'll pass it on to my service dept tomorrow and get back to you with the best answers i can.

reflash the PCM, sounds like a torque lock up problem, check for pending codes and any that are already there. should all be covered under warranty

Thanks in advance, no the check engine light did not come on , but the oil lamp did light up on the dash with some alert chimes, after turning the switch off and back on it did fire back up, So far it has not happened again. my oldest son was in the front passenger seat (100 lb 9yr old, info for any air bag or restraint issues). some info from my perspective, May or may not be related, or just my imagination, Sometimes it feels like the transmission is shifting out to quick on slow take off and while driving along at hwy speeds it feels like the transmission may be shifting up and down, kind of like some of the older automatic overdrive tranny's used to feel like. ( jerky feeling) I hope this helps, I am not sure if my descriptions are plain enough, but hopefully you can talk with someone with some insight on this issue.
Thanks,
1coolhand

reflash the PCM, sounds like a torque lock up problem, check for pending codes and any that are already there. should all be covered under warranty

How do you reflash the pcm? what is a torque lock up problem? would the check engine light be on if, it had any codes? and I am sure it is all covered under warranty, it just the matter of not having a vehicle while the ford place is looking at it . and hopefully they won't say "we can't duplicate the problem"
Thanks

How do you reflash the pcm? what is a torque lock up problem? would the check engine light be on if, it had any codes? and I am sure it is all covered under warranty, it just the matter of not having a vehicle while the ford place is looking at it . and hopefully they won't say "we can't duplicate the problem"
Thanks

Dealer or someone with the program. My 06 did the same thing had to replace the computer (PCM) and reflash (reprogram) Torque lock up (transmission) stuff. There is probably a TSB on it . (Technical service bulletin )

Had mine do that while driving down the road, engine just quit but wouldn't restart. Was lucky enough to be able to get it into a parking lot so didn't cause a traffic hazard.
Different vehicle, but my problem was pcm had to be replaced. I was glad it just puked, and was not an intermittent problem like yours,hope the reflash takes care of it.

These guys might be onto something with the PCM.. as far as the not having a car while yours is being worked on I don't know how your dealer does it but if you purchased the vehicle from us and the vehicle is determined to be unsafe to drive we will give you a loaner. Best thing I can recommend is calling your service dept asap ask them about a loaner and schedule a appointment. My guys said that if it is the PCM then it should only take about an hour to reprogram it. They said it's just one of those things you would have to bring it in for to be sure. Good luck with your issue.

These guys might be onto something with the PCM.. as far as the not having a car while yours is being worked on I don't know how your dealer does it but if you purchased the vehicle from us and the vehicle is determined to be unsafe to drive we will give you a loaner. Best thing I can recommend is calling your service dept asap ask them about a loaner and schedule a appointment. My guys said that if it is the PCM then it should only take about an hour to reprogram it. They said it's just one of those things you would have to bring it in for to be sure. Good luck with your issue.

Thanks Guys,
Lots of good info! I have spoken with my salesman at the dealership and have an appointment on Thursday and they will provide a loaner car.
Thanks again,
1coolhand

We took it to the Dealer last time and they could not get any codes or duplicate the problem. They did update the computer and it didnt have any issues until Friday November 9th, my wife and kids gets were turning into a road and it just died. it fired back up, but scared my wife half to death. Any Ford service techs around here have anything they can add help wise on this issue.
Thanks
1coolhand

Back
Top Bottom