• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ford mustang

Redcrane

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
164   1
Reaction score
My son has a 2006 mustang , that shuts off while driving
We took it to a well known shop they couldn’t find he problem . I was wandering if anyone else has had this problem. Or knows what it could be.

There's a hundred pages of stuff on it if you google 2006 mustang shuts off while driving g

its the computer most likely. the bad thing is, it wont come up on the scanner unless it is "in condition" which means not running. I have known a couple of different cars that have had this problem. Both times, I left with the service manager and told him to drive it, and take his scanner with him. They figured it out within a day both times.

We took it to a well known shop they couldn’t find he problem . I was wandering if anyone else has had this problem. Or knows what it could be.
I had this problem once on a Dodge 150 Pickup. It turned out to be a bad solid state pickup plate sensor in the distributor (sometimes it's called the coil sensor pickup plate). The only real way it was found was when it finally quit working altogether.

You'd be driving down the road at speed and then them motor would hesitate and shudder and then just shut down. After a little cool-down and fiddling with the ignition turning it on and off it'd start right back up. A damned difficult problem to find.

My son has a 1998 GT doing something similar. We have replaced both ignition coils, plugs and wires and cleaned throttle body and idle air control valve. Also checked fuel pump and fuel pressure. Better but not fixed. He has noticed that it seems to do it more when he fills the tank. That makes me think its an emissions or fuel tank venting issue.

I had this problem once on a Dodge 150 Pickup. It turned out to be a bad solid state pickup plate sensor in the distributor (sometimes it's called the coil sensor pickup plate). The only real way it was found was when it finally quit working altogether.

You'd be driving down the road at speed and then them motor would hesitate and shudder and then just shut down. After a little cool-down and fiddling with the ignition turning it on and off it'd start right back up. A damned difficult problem to find.
Thermal expansion is tricky sometimes. You can ohm a circuit cold, when the circuit heats up it can break the circuit or cause a different voltage or resistance reading that the sensors and computer is looking for.

Once, just once I encountered a similar issue with a mountaineer 4.6. Found it to be the crank sensor harness that had rubbed through on the RH cylinder head just below the valve cover in the front. It would ground out intermittently and stall the car at speed.
Hope this helps.

It's going to be something simple but hard to find. I had it here:
2007Mustang.jpg

This is a 2007 Mustang GT 4.6L It was a stupid capacitor that worked great when cold but failed when the engine was warmer. I measured the main circuits when cold and wrote down the numbers. I drove it hard (on Hwy 400) until it failed. Bingo as one setting changed drastically. The part was $18. No more issues.

Back
Top Bottom