• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ford wheel nut lugs bad

It’s not just ford. Every manufacturer is using the two piece lug nuts now. They are lighter. They are trying to reduce rotating mass to meet epa fuel economy standards.

First thing that gets replaced. Much like the plastic placeholder sights that Glock installs after import.

I put 276.000 miles on 2011 150 and it is still running today with only maintenance at every 5000 miles. My 2016 has 93,000 with only maintenance every 5000 till the wheel nut replacement! Both trucks have 5.0 engines.

I’m not a Ford type but I just happen to have driven a majority of Fords in my lifetime.

Never had the problem on my 99 F150 or my 2000 F250. Those lugs seemed solid to me. My 93 Tempo and 2012 Focus both had this problem though.

Also my 2005 Jeep Liberty has this problem but luckily on that when the 19mm/3/4 layer comes off it leaves a perfect 18mm solid nut in its place.

I still replaced them all though so my 4 way lug wrench would fit them all. I carried a breaker bar and an 18mm socket in the Jeep for a short time until I got the new lugs and it saved me one day when I got a puncture.

This is something that should have been remedied ages ago. The car companies can wantonly put out inferior products with no consequence.

Back
Top Bottom