• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ford wheel nut lugs bad

Wasn’t aware of this problem. Last time my Flex was in for tire rotation, had a couple of replacement lug nuts, figured they just lost the originals. Now I’m gonna order full set of replacements off Amazon.
Thanks, OP.

It seems like the con's of Ford trucks outweigh the pro's for me. I am going to have to stick with overpriced Toyota trucks until I retire. Then I may get a Ford that won't be driven much and I will have time to
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

The chrome cap is a weird concept. I never had problems with mine though. I recently put on after market rims so l had to replace the lug nuts

Replacing my brake pads on the f150 and one wheel just refused to come off no matter what docket size I tried. figured it’s a factory lug nut Ford will replace them under warranty. Got to Ford dealer and they said it would be $130 for new lugs and all of them were crap( all but 3 can come off but all were pretty bad), finally got them to just replace a few bad ones free and went to buy new lugs all around at advanced auto parts.

Ford has been making these aluminum covers steel caped plugs and it’s a common complaint they they fail, i imagine many vehicles were towed just because of these lugs. The worst part is that Ford refuses to fix the issue or warranty them. The rust belt must despise this

I never expected to have to prematurely replace all my lugs before the alternator even gave a problem.
Ford isn't the first manufacturer to do this. I had a 1977 Chevy Nova that had the same thing, same problem. I call them veneer nuts. Made to look expensive but just have a cheap veneer metal cover dome. Structurally difficult because a loose fit with the lug nut when you pull it off (especially with a powerful air-driven impact wrench) needs awareness in what's happening..... Sollid metal construction is better and that's what I did. Bought a whole new set that had the look I wanted.

Just put new rubber on the FJ. Discount Tire replaced all of the lug nuts with the solid because of this. My 2010 F-150 still running originals with over 207,000 mi.

Back
Top Bottom