Free to Use Firearm Bill of Sale / Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
So someone gets killed with the weapon in your town, you have no alibi, they have no witness, and the only documentation on the weapon is from when you bought it new from your local gun shop. how are they not bringing you in for questioning?

They will bring you in for questioning either way. Your answer is "I sold it". When they say "To whom?" you say "I Do not know. I did not keep, nor was I required by law to keep that information."

Can you cite just one instance where a person was prosecuted for selling a firearm (legally) in a private sale that was later used in a crime? I will save you the trouble of looking, you can't. I have read plenty of instances of where people have been questioned, and they simply said they sold it, and that was the end of it. There is still something called proof...

I will not do a bill of sale with you because I have been a victim of identity theft. I am not giving some random person I met on the internet my personal info that could end up who knows where. Stores have a responsibility to protect my identity information, and they can suffer consequences for not doing it up to and including fines. You on the other hand have no responsibility to protect my private info so therefore you will not get it. Understand now.

They will bring you in for questioning either way. Your answer is "I sold it". When they say "To whom?" you say "I Do not know. I did not keep, nor was I required by law to keep that information."

I understand that. Now assuming the shooter is never caught, are you not better off with some form of documentation? I know I'm paranoid. Again, if I buy a gun privately and sell it privately, I do not want a bill of sale. It's unnecessary and not required by law. Because I'm forced to have paperwork when I buy from an FFL, it seems logical to me to have paperwork if I sell it. I'm torn over this subject, which is why I'm trying to stir up some more debate about it. I haven't found anything to sway me in old bill of sale threads on here.

You have created your own unnecessary 4473. But, you forgot to ask if I was Hispanic.

Exactly. Congratulations, you have just passed a national gun registry. Private sales will now be tracked via Bills of Sale confiscated by "consciencous gun owners". Thanks ever so much.

If you sold the gun through the ODT there would be an electronic paper trail of your PMs to back it up. This would be just as good as a bill of sale

And as sad as this is it is still much better legal protection than a peice of paper writting by YOU on the trunk of a car in a 7-11 parking loit that you show to the cops with tears streaming down your cheecks pleading them not to let Bubba make you his wifey. You would do better to LEARN your rights and exercise them than to count on a piece of paper that is ABSOLUTELY worthless.

Can you cite just one instance where a person was prosecuted for selling a firearm (legally) in a private sale that was later used in a crime? I will save you the trouble of looking, you can't. I have read plenty of instances of where people have been questioned, and they simply said they sold it, and that was the end of it. There is still something called proof...

I will not do a bill of sale with you because I have been a victim of identity theft. I am not giving some random person I met on the internet my personal info that could end up who knows where. Stores have a responsibility to protect my identity information, and they can suffer consequences for not doing it up to and including fines. You on the other hand have no responsibility to protect my private info so therefore you will not get it. Understand now.

very good argument. thank you

Which makes the celphone credit card readers a joke to me as well. "Oh here, slide this thru your phone..take what you want." Duh!

I understand that. Now assuming the shooter is never caught, are you not better off with some form of documentation?

NO

I know I'm paranoid. Again, if I buy a gun privately and sell it privately, I do not want a bill of sale. It's unnecessary and not required by law. Because I'm forced to have paperwork when I buy from an FFL, it seems logical to me to have paperwork if I sell it. I'm torn over this subject, which is why I'm trying to stir up some more debate about it. I haven't found anything to sway me in old bill of sale threads on here.

I have bought more than one of some models of guns. When I trade one of that model I ALWAYS trade away one I bought from a gun shop or pawn shop. That get's that gun away from the 4473. I think of it as a civic duty to remove guns from the eyes of the people who would track and eventually confiscate them if they ever could. You're welcome...just doing my part. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom