FRENCH DRAIN HELP

mtnsmith

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
70   0
Reaction score
I have a house in North Ga that has a french drain that I don't think has a problem but suspect it may have roots in it. It is about 21 years old and has not allowed leaks in the basement recently, but there are some water marks on a near wall. The basement is dry now and does not smell musty. So I don't think it has leaked in the last 6 months.

There was in a downspout dumping water toward the wall with the drain that has been diverted about 6 months ago that could have caused a leak, hence the water mark on the basement wall.

My big question, is there a service that can do a roto-rooter type operation on a french drain to remove roots and then suck them out like a septic tank service can do a septic field drain pipe?

I'll bet most plumbing services will either offer advice or have the tools necessary to service a french drain. I know you can snake them but if you're talking about roots, probably need a professional to get at it and clear it out.

I have several. Will just dig them up and replace when the time comes. Not a big deal, and not deep, either.

About how long can you expect one to last, pipe is corrugated and I am told it is plastic about 20 years old.

In good conditions, it is about done.

Do you have an outlet? If so, run a snake up it and see if there are obstructions.

In good conditions, it is about done.

Do you have an outlet? If so, run a snake up it and see if there are obstructions.

I saw a youtube on corrugated plastic pipe. It is well engineered to drain, it is roots that get it.

You can rent a push camera (camera on long spool) for $150-ish. There are plumbers that should have a camera on hand though so you could just get a service call to have them check it.

There are foaming root treatments that would probably work well. They kill the roots a few feet back. If you just have the roots cut out, they'll grow back quick. I image anything that cuts the roots would tear up your drain pipe also.

Best bet may be to just dig and replace it. Cover the drain pipe with filter fabric that will hold off the roots longer.

I'm no expert on this but those are some ideas for you at least.

Back
Top Bottom