Friendly Reminder

NWSharpshooter

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
563   0
Reaction score
Load up 5 to 10 rounds of a load and try them out first before loading 250 rounds of the stuff. Nothing like spending the afternoon pulling 244 loads with a kinetic puller instead of blasting some steel at the range. :mad:

Been there done that. Dont feel too bad.
I don't. The load was "supposed" to be the starting load according to a couple of books. Even still, it was a bit too hot and I felt like it was beating the **** out of my action. Replacement parts aren't cheap for a M14 so I want to be careful. Just for grins I dropped the load by five grains and tried it out in the back yard. To my surprise it cycled the action and the rifle seemed MUCH happier. I'm gonna head to the range tomorrow with my primed brass, some powder, a scale, some bullets, my press, two c clamps and my chronograph. Gonna start out 8 grains under the starting load and work up till I get a reliable cycle combined with the velocity I am looking for. Don't expect the gun to cycle 8 grains under, but then again I didn't expect it to cycle 5 grains under.

I don't. The load was "supposed" to be the starting load according to a couple of books. Even still, it was a bit too hot and I felt like it was beating the **** out of my action. Replacement parts aren't cheap for a M14 so I want to be careful. Just for grins I dropped the load by five grains and tried it out in the back yard. To my surprise it cycled the action and the rifle seemed MUCH happier. I'm gonna head to the range tomorrow with my primed brass, some powder, a scale, some bullets, my press, two c clamps and my chronograph. Gonna start out 8 grains under the starting load and work up till I get a reliable cycle combined with the velocity I am looking for. Don't expect the gun to cycle 8 grains under, but then again I didn't expect it to cycle 5 grains under.

I start mine in the middle as well but sometimes a little less may also increase your accuracy. Going to the range with your loading componets and press is a great idea forsure.

I start mine in the middle as well but sometimes a little less may also increase your accuracy. Going to the range with your loading componets and press is a great idea forsure.
I didn't start in the middle, I started at the bottom and was still too hot. As long as the brass is already sized, I don't mind loading at the range. Not gonna try to resize with a press held on the bench with two c clamps. :thumb:

- - - Updated - - -

What range lets you shoot and reload at the same time?
Floyd County Wildlife Association.

Back
Top Bottom