• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Frozen pipes at well pump. Freeze switch?

I did the light bulb and a cover for years. It does work.
I fixed a lot of busted plastic last year ( 2022 ) for folks when it got so cold around Christmas.
Solved all of my personal future freeze concerns when I replaced my pump several years back.
I installed a pitless adaptor in the case and that keeps all the water piping below ground and all you have exposed is the well casing head.
If you ever have to pull your pump for any reason, it is relatively inexpensive to do at that time.
Something that catches my eye is that it looks like the pump is fed with a buried white Romex?
Is that acceptable to our states building code?
Dice? you probably have this answer.
Just a thought...

Looks like the next three days are still going to be freezing overnight, but clear sailing after that.

Pretty clear this has already been done before on that setup, or the pipe was cut to add the check valve. The flared, vertical PVC section is the giveaway.

This is an easy DIY job:

1) Find the source of the leak
2) Buy replacement PVC and check valve
3) Turn off the breaker to the well
4) Clip the zip ties and move the wire aside
5) Cut away (and wrench away) the damaged piece...hand saw or power saw...just watch the wire.
6) Make up a replacement section, dry fit to test before gluing
7) Install it, tighten up PVC threaded section before final glue up
8) Glue it up.
9) Zip tie the wire back to the pipe
10) Install insulation
11) Turn breaker back on

A well installer or plumber should be able to do it in under an hour. It might take you two, including time watching Youtube vids. :)

For reference, unless the leak is coming from the pressure regulator (the red metal piece), you're replacing all of the plastic, including the threaded PVC fixture, to where you cut the pipe. Cuts are where I have marked in red on this image. After cutting, wrench the threaded PVC coupler out of the metal body.

well-fix-v2.jpg

Needed:

A length of flared end PVC pipe (or straight, and appropriate diameter PVC coupler)
PVC 90 degree elbow
check valve (the gray thing)
PVC threaded coupler
PVC primer and glue
Pipe thread sealant (for the threaded coupler)

Probably about $50 worth of parts and supplies.

Back
Top Bottom