• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Frustrated!! - My S&W M&P AR Won't Cycle Reloads

Has anyone had this issue or know how to fix it?? The little gem will shoot factory loads perfectly fine but for whatever reason, cannot cycle our reloads. Could it be that we're reloading too much powder, it doesn't like the bullet, I have no idea? HELP!

Thanks y'all!!

Real dumb question here, could you take a picture of the projectile you reloaded with as well as the powder?

I am am super curious here....a pic of one of your reloaded rounds would be great too. This could be something really simple.
:-)

When the round is chambered, the bolt doesn't fully go into the battery then it's very difficult to pull the charging handle back. Also won't go into safety when it's jammed so pretty dangerous.... Maybe the bullet was set too low? Like I said to Steelhorses's response, the reloads cycle fine in other ARs (or at least one other one as it's the only other AR out of which we've fired the reloads but they go off with ease) so not really sure what's going on with mine :(

Provide an OAL and if able match it to your known factory loads that function fine. This sounds like a fail to feed and if it does a fail to extract smoothly, correct?

Insure your resizer die is set to the correct depth in the press and insure the case lengths are trimmed to length and not out of spec.

Last edited:
If the OP will snap a pic of his reloads and components, we may have this solved. It will be obvious is the projectile depth is wrong due to it not going completely into battery.

OP, post some pics so we can help you! Also OAL is a major importance! Make sure as noted above that you resized the cases. Fire formed cases will, I repeat, will have a really hard time cycling, if at all. Try not to blow your rifle/self up!

Add on, make sure you trim the cases back to proper length. It may be a pain in the butt with a hand trimmer, but don't skip that step.

I would also check and make sure the chamber is clean since the ammo isn't going into battery only on one rifle.

All the other advice is solid but this seems to be the best. If the ammo functions fine other rifles but not the S&W, it makes most sense to me that it's the rifle at fault, not the ammo. Have you recently fired steel case in the S&W since last cleaning it?

Doesn't know the trim Length or overall length of the cartridges he loaded, and they are apparently sticking in the chamber or rifling when the bolt is dropped.
I'm with Ram rod doc on this one
Pretty dadgum sure it aint the rifle, bullets or powder.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom