• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

FT Stewart archery Hog hunt

Gordylew

Firefighter Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
189   0
Reaction score
Just got back Sunday from 4 days of hog hunting at Fort Stewart. I anticipated heat, mosquitos, ticks, snakes and maybe a hog. Out of 3 of us I was the only non hog shooter. I did miss a couple with the Big Jim's Thunderchild. An absolute miss at 10 yards on a broadside 30 pounder. I did get the consulation prize of hitting the tree besides it. The other was a Hail Mary on a running hog. went right over it's back. The other fellows killed a couple of hogs and also had a few misses as well. The weather was not nearly as bad as I anticipated. I guess the coastal wind helped keep the heat down to the 80s in the middle of the day. Mosquitos weren't as bad either. I wore my antiquated Bug Tamer jacket with lots of permanone. Only seen 2 snakes. a black racer and my first Dusky Pygmy rattler. We took a JANoe down the Canooche river one afternoon. I really figured I would see a load of cottonmouths. Never saw a single one.
If you had never hunted Ft Stewart it was pretty neat. Nearly 300K acres of upper costal plains. The yearly hunting pass is only $80. I didn't see a lot of deer but a few that were randomly spaced. I did not see enough big deer sign to make me want to go down during deer season. I'm sure the locals know where the deer hide but that's a lot of acreage to hide in.
We stayed in Hinesville which was around 30 minutes from the area we hunted.
We may go back in February to try again.

I stayed out in the field out there for four days a couple of weeks ago and the hogs were coming up in our area in the middle of the night. They are everywhere!

Back
Top Bottom