• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Full kit workout???

Closest things I've had to a "get home bag scenario". Generally my scenario is about getting home from where ever I am and doesn't involve E&E from "authorities".

1. The Northeast Blackout of 2003. - I worked in Detroit. The blackout emptied _all_ of the offices in the financial district. No elevators so I had to go down the stairs from the 27th floor. Fortunately I was reasonable physical condition. There were some people at the head of the stairway procession who were not and believe me they were holding things up.
If this had been a second 9-11 scenario or a fire, I think they would have been tossed over the stair rails.
I lived in a burb about 10 miles away from the Detroit River. My bug out bag consisted of my Dodge Caravan and a detailed knowledge of the back streets. I avoided the highways and drove about 3 hours through primarily residential areas.
Level of difficulty - No GPS. :)

2. September 11 2001. - I worked in the same office as #1. They pretty much closed Detroit. Drove home via the residential streets. Same as above. Except the elevators worked. :)

The advantage of being there as opposed to elsewhere is that most of the Detroit area is laid out like a grid. People use street names like navigators use longitude and latitude.

So, aside from good physical conditioning, a not too heavy bag of equipment, local knowledge of roads is pretty invaluable. Otherwise, you probably can't carry enough food to get from A to B.

Ok ok, I will admit to the gayest thing ever. I rowe on a machine during the winter, normally I swim. Anyway, while I do my rowing I often wear my gear. My wife does her exercise at the same time. She does this stupid retarded game on the XBox Kennect called Dance Dance Revolution.

One night she was dancing right along while I was gassing hard on the rower. She dogged me out a bit and I started talking smack about her game. She challenged me to try it and goated me into it. I got up from the rower in my belt and chest rig. 7 full mags in total. I danced one song and thought I was going to pass straight out.

So yea, I dance to stupid freakin pop songs at night with my wife it full gear. No plates. Whatever, you guys been served!

I used to get worn out using the Wii to Sword Fight and play Tennis with my kids. It's good exercise.

Really?
You guys really should have enlisted, I'm sure you would have made good soldiers.

I have my own ideas and they don't involve running through the woods like rambo.

Walking along the road with a shovel was a good way to get shot.
A shovel. Shoes optional.

Maybe thinking like an insurgent for a bit would help get your gear straight.
YMMV
hey
quit harshing our apocalypse
no one will be happy without ice tea and tv, and squirrel on a stick will get old quick.
but let us have our fun.​

They should include in the next Medal of Honor game a virtual realty where you have to where all your crap and actually run to run and jump to jump Etc instead of just picking up a med kit you have to actually eat and mre. Well turn every video game Fatso into a bad a within a year. Orrrrr they all say screw that and go back to playing with there thumbs. Haha.
Hey Detroit guy I have a question. So I'm assuming you don't own a drap load of heavy kit. Because you must have looked suspicious driving home with night vision googles from work on 911. My point being this is a question of extreme fitness not and excuses about how we will avoid using fitness to get away or home. We already no all the armchair commandos have a million scenarios where they avoid taking ten steps in any direction. This is about the opposite where you are planning on running around your neighborhood etc fighting with all our crap on.

Try this again when you get OVER 50... and I have a 32" waist, weight 195 and work out with weights and do cardio as best I can in my physical condition. Once the symptoms of old age start hitting you just bugging out may be an issue even without the extra weight of a pack! Feet, Knees, Elbow joints, Shoulders, Back, Heart, Circulation... it ALL starts coming into play. I have people tell me "your in great shape for your age" I tell them NO you should see me in the morning trying to get out of bed especially on work out days! No win situation, if I don't work out I gain weight right in the middle, my blood pressure gets out of control, breathing out of control on physical exertion and I just feel like a lethargic turd.... Work out and joints ache like crazy at weird times, muscles hurt, recovery is 2x more than when I was younger, i require more SLEEP and it just zaps alot of my energy points for the next day. Basically I feel like I'm just in a battle with old age and sooner or later old age is gonna win for SURE.

I don't remember those road marches with full uniform, ruck, and m16A2 being a problem at all... but now?!??

And honest man here!! I'm feeling a little more like that every day. But props to you for keeping in shape. I do agree that basically as you age and or your fitness level varies you pretty much need to have a different plan for situations. And elderly person can't really even consider walking or running ever. They need to hunker down and use what they do have which is patience and experience. Leave the jumping off roofs and general bad assery to the young pups. Every old dude or out of shape guys should have mad sniper skills. In my opinion. The game plan should not be what most armchair commandos think there plan is. Which is generally full kit and clearing rooms. Haha

My only problem with air soft is looking like a total retard as a 40 something dude running around shooting at kids and yelling YOUR HIT!!lol. I just can't suck up my pride I guess.
On the other hand. We can't all be 20 and hard as nails again. But we can all eat right, work out and be the fittest person we can be. Not only will it help save us in a bad scenario but will keep us from dying on our desks at work. Not to mention ripped guys get all the super models. Haha. Wait I meant to say rich guys. Haha.

You bring up a good point on dying at our desks...

https://www.diygenius.com/your-desk-job-is-killing-you-the-truth-about-sitting-down-infographic/

I have WATCHED people doing it over the past 10 years. Massive weight gain, huffing and puffing just coming up the steps into work, ending up in hospitals etc etc.

30-45 minutes SITTING in your car to get to work and another 30-45 to get home, 8 HOURS SITTING at your desk for the most part, then 1 hour for lunch again probably SITTING, then home and SITTING at the dinner table and at in front of the TV. Add that up, what 10.5 to 12 hours a day of SITTING.... The older you get the worse the effects all the sitting will have on you.

Working in Atlanta and watching the Walking Dead makes me wonder what the crap it would be like trying to get from Atlanta to my house 30+ miles north if SHTF while I was at work... Makes me think about packing the AR pistol and a bunch of full mags in the car on work days as backup to the edc center console pistol.

In the winter I do throw my gortex overalls/parka/boots and gloves in the car just in case a storm hits and I get stranded out on 85. I learned this in MD on a 9 hour ride home in a heavy snow storm just to make it 26 miles, froze my tail off!!!

hey
quit harshing our apocalypse
no one will be happy without ice tea and tv, and squirrel on a stick will get old quick.
but let us have our fun.​
just for clarification
its
upload_2016-8-7_12-54-31.jpeg

not
upload_2016-8-7_12-55-18.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom