G43/K43 my new to me Unicorn

will4me

Wolf Icon Lifetime Supporter
Staff member
351   0
Reaction score
Gewehr 43,
Just got a Unicorn of mine Been looking for one of these for a long time in good shape and today I got one in real good shape, the only downside is a Repo stock.
The rifle seems to be 100% all matching, all the numbers match that have serials on them.
The inside seems to be one that has not been shot a lot and parts seem newish.
All Serials are there with waffenamt's in the proper spots.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

What German units used these rifles? Only a few ever see battle?

The Gewehr 43 was put into production in October 1943, and followed in 1944 by the Karabiner 43 (K43), which was identical to the G43 in every way except for the letter stamped on the side. The name change from Gewehr to Karabiner (carbine) was due to the fact the rifle was actually two centimetres longer than the standard Karabiner 98k and therefore the term Gewehr (meaning: long rifle) was somewhat unfitting. The Wehrmacht intended to equip each grenadier (infantry) company in the army with 19 G43s, including 10 with scopes, for issue as the company commander saw fit. This issue was never completely achieved.

Total production by the end of the war was 402,713 of both models, including at least 53,435 sniper rifles: these G43/K43s were used as designated marksman/sniper weapons, fitted with the Zielfernrohr 43 (ZF 4) telescopic sight with 4x magnification. The weapon was originally designed for use with the Schiessbecher rifle grenade launcher (standard on the Karabiner 98k as well) and the Schalldämpfer suppressor, however these accessories were deemed unsuccessful in tests and were dropped even before the rifle made it to serial production. The rifle also lacked a bayonet mount. The Gewehr 43 stayed in service with the Czechoslovak army for several years after the war.

Back
Top Bottom