• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ga. considering use of "SUPPRESSORS" for hunting?

Stuckon22

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Look a Man Straight in His Hairy Eyeball!
238   0
Reaction score
Read in GON that legislation is being considered to allow suppressors on hunting rifles to keep the noise level down during hunting season- a poachers dream or nightmare? Given that the requirements to have one put on are both expensive and you cannot have a shady background. What do you all think. I think Ga. is controlled by the lobbying groups headed by insurance companies, QDMA,...etc. I also hunt in Va. and they would think the bag limit, season length, baiting, suppressors...etc are crazy ideas. Ga. is going to kill a vital industry that brings a lot of money into the state. The antis are probably laughing their butts off at the demise of ga's hunting industry. HSUS is probably behind all of it. Pretty depressing!

How is GA killing the hunting industry?

If poaching is already illegal, how does the use of a suppressor change it?

The population of whitetails is being decimated by coyotes, too many tags, too long of a season, urban sprawl, Qdma-advocate shooting a lot of does. The suppressor issue is, I believe, being masked by the precept that noise reduction will keep firearms legal in areas where population may complain about the shots, but it will really allow more game to be taken legally and if someone is tempted to, illegally. Some poaching convictions come as a tip but mostly as a response to a shot fired and a citizen complaint. The state Dnr is understaffed, underfunded, and spread out too thin to adequately cover ga. as it is now and no additional funding is planned. The majority of hunters pay a lot of money for leases, overnight accomodations, food, ammo, permits...etc. With the poor hunting that was reported statewide this season folks will go to "greener" pastures in neighboring states with more game. Look at the stats on number of hunters today and 15 yrs ago-way down for license applications. I have hunted Ga. for 30 years and it is as bad now as I can ever remember. IMO, ga. is killing a vital industry in this state.

Lol like every redneck will suppress his 30-30

Probably not but the rich folks from Fla. will do it as they are regulars during hunting season here. My point is that eventually all of the changes to ga.'s regulations in the past 10 years have not improved the quality of hunting here and I see no way that a ploy like this will help the publics perception of the sport-HSUS will have a field day with this if it passes. BTW, not every hunter is a redneck(I hope this was probably tongue in cheek). It is a rather expensive endeavor with paying the permit fee, background check and the modifications to a rifle by a gunsmith. Around 1200.00 I believe total.

Humm,
In Europe it is required to have a suppressor to hunt in some countries. Poaching is not considered a problem. I think it would be a great idea!!

lol, this aint Europe-our poachers have rights!

How exactly would the use of suppressors increase poaching? They are not silent you do know that right? Do you think the DNR only listens and then walks up to hunters? There are many more effective ways of catching poachers then just listening. Besides, deer are nearly a nuisance animal now and there is a lobby for them to be declared as such. How would less deer at this date be a bad thing?

People that own suppressors are law abiding citizens. Do you think that they are going to risk losing their cans because they want to throw 50lbs of deer meat in the freezer on the down low?

White tail pop decimated??! What part of GA are you hunting in???! They are overunning the place down here in telfair, Jeff Davis, appling, Ben hill, and Montgomery counties! Me and my wife have hit 11 in the past year and a half with our cars! Personally I believe there should be an open season on all of them for at least a year just to thin them out. Maybe even put a bounty on them.

Back
Top Bottom