Gas block pin for Noveske barrel.

No2sc2

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
37   1
Reaction score
For the love of.... I can't get this pin in! I did it once before but apparently it was a flute! Anyone have any tips on getting it in? I made sure the barrel pre-notch is lined up with gas block, tighten down the set screw and went to town! It won't go any more than it is and I'm pounding like the hulk! What am I doing wrong? Should I loosen the set screw and try it that way?
[Broken External Image]:

I'm sleeping this off for tonight. I shall pound it more tomorrow!

For the love of.... I can't get this pin in! I did it once before but apparently it was a flute! Anyone have any tips on getting it in? I made sure the barrel pre-notch is lined up with gas block, tighten down the set screw and went to town! It won't go any more than it is and I'm pounding like the hulk! What am I doing wrong? Should I loosen the set screw and try it that way?
[Broken External Image]:
Loosen the set screw, align the holes, tap the pin into place and then set it with a punch, good heavy hammer and a firm whack. Reinstall set screw with red, high temp loctite and be sure to degrease before installing the set screw.

I've checked. I don't think they are taper pin. However, I did tried to aligned it and tighten the set screw. I will check again tonight to make sure they aren't tapered but I'm sure they aren't and I will do it without tighten the set screw. Thanks guys! Will report later tonight!

If I can't get it in, is there a way to just install it by the set screw or you think it will eventually vibrate loose?

I've built up a few Noveske barrels with pinned blocks. The pin usually comes already in place and lightly held in place, about 75% to depth. Easily tapped out for assembly. It should fit easily by hand initially and tighten as it is set into its final position. Check fit from the other side. I'm pretty sure that it's a taper pin. Did you buy this barrel new?

I've checked. I don't think they are taper pin. However, I did tried to aligned it and tighten the set screw. I will check again tonight to make sure they aren't tapered but I'm sure they aren't and I will do it without tighten the set screw. Thanks guys! Will report later tonight!

If I can't get it in, is there a way to just install it by the set screw or you think it will eventually vibrate loose?

Every Noveske I've worked on with a low profile gas block has a taper pin. To answer your other question, no, the set screws probably won't vibrate lose, but it's got a pin in it, why not use it?

If you want some help with it, bring it by Bullseye on Saturday and ask for Josh.

This is new barrel. Sad thing is im using the same gas block and same pin. I had to uninstall it so I can put new rail on. I'm pounding from the same side and I know it's same side cause of the previous mark lol. I'll have to check my pins to see if it's tapered. I got it in once, I'm surprised I'm having problem with it this time and I whacked it harder this time.

Back
Top Bottom