• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Generator questions

airx22

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
10   0
Reaction score
So I purchased a generator to run my camper and house if need be. On the gen. there are 4 different outlets 1)120v,20a duplex gfci 2)120v,30amp twist lock nema l5-30r 3)120/240v,30amp twist lock nema l14-30r 4)120/240,50amp nema 14-50r...so my question is does my camper (30 amp) plug into the 120v30 amp ? Does the house plug into the 120v/240 30amp or does the house plug into the 120/240 50amp ???

Also I have a 30amp plug at my barn that i plug my camper into which is supplied from the main panel in my house,if we loose power to the house can I plug the generator into that 30 amp plug and back feed to the house ?

any and all advice would be much appreciated.

Camper gets the 30amp 120 so long as you don’t have a 50 amp camper. House gets 30 amp or 50 amp depending on what you set your house up with.

I use a 50 amp with interlock on mine.

You cannot legally or safely plug into the 30amp on the barn to back feed the house. To do so you would need a suicide cord. They are called that for a reason.

Lots of questions there, not an electrician, do have a fairly good knowledge of campers, generators and house patch panels.

As already mentioned, don’t kill the guy trying to fix your power problem.
Ensure you’re disconnected from the line.

Now yes, the camper plugs into the 120/30 amp, (unless of course you have a big camper with 2 a/c units then it’s probably a 50amp).
(I have (2) Honda 2200i connected together which run my camper).

Generally you would have a patch panel that you plug the generators 120/240 50amp into and you would use that patch panel to power specific breakers. You can use the box itself as a patch panel if a connection from your generator is wired properly into the panel. A switch should be installed to power the panel from the line or from the generator. You would then power off some of the breakers to not overload your generator. Be sure not to turn everything on at once. Start up takes more juice and you don’t want any motors getting hot.

There’s lots to read on this subject, immerse yourself and good luck.

Oh! And forget feeding back to the house from the barn, do it right and hire an electrician to wire the generator to the house.

I thank you guys for the advice....I'll probably consult with an electrician just to be safe.
If anyone knows one send them my way.

I did mine myself.

• 50 amp generator inlet outlet $50
  • GE interlock kit for my box $100
  • 50ft 50amp generator cable $300
  • 6/3 with ground and 50amp breaker $50

took me all over an hour to hook it up. Very next day we lost power for 6 hours. I was very happy I didn’t procrastinate getting it all installed.

I could have saved some money by buying a shorter cable, but that side of my house is too sloped for the generator so I needed 50ft to reach the back patio.

I did mine myself.

• 50 amp generator inlet outlet $50
  • GE interlock kit for my box $100
  • 50ft 50amp generator cable $300
  • 6/3 with ground and 50amp breaker $50

took me all over an hour to hook it up. Very next day we lost power for 6 hours. I was very happy I didn’t procrastinate getting it all installed.

I could have saved some money by buying a shorter cable, but that side of my house is too sloped for the generator so I needed 50ft to reach the back patio.

Lol, good timing! That’s the kind of thing that makes you want to dance around laughing. :becky:

Back
Top Bottom