• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Generator Thread ....When the power goes out...

My buddy ran a Generac up at Bent Tree for over a week....while he didn't get his tank filled just before, or just after, he managed o.k...I think he has a 500 gal tank, which means he gets a lot less than that....I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I don't think that it cost him $167 a day....not even close

For those of you that think a hotel is the answer, there aren’t many options in Jasper and even if we could get a room there isn’t a guarantee we could get out. We had neighbors that couldn’t get out for 4 or 5 days after the tornados last August. Not having a whole house gen. in the mountains isn’t an option. And I’m not going out in the rain or snow to crank up and hook up or fill up one. Now if the wife were to volunteer to do it that would be a different story.

My portable is 5500 watts. It would run everything at my old house including A/C. I can't imagine needing to run it 24hrs a day, but saying you did, it would cost @ $72 a day. At my new to me house, it'll run everything but the A/C. I bought two new window units and the house also has an attic fan. I also have 2 old style natural gas heaters and a masonry fire place

My portable is 5500 watts. It would run everything at my old house including A/C. I can't imagine needing to run it 24hrs a day, but saying you did, it would cost @ $72 a day. At my new to me house, it'll run everything but the A/C. I bought two new window units and the house also has an attic fan. I also have 2 old style natural gas heaters and a masonry fire place
That's what I believe, I would run the generator if needed, for about 8 to 12 hours; then cut it off, and restart after 6 - 8 hours, or more. Well, I am new to this and have not used the generator. I believe this 2024, we will have to use it, for quite some days.

My other concern or question is: How to storage gasoline for a long period of time?

20240125_212939.png

That's what I believe, I would run the generator if needed, for about 8 to 12 hours; then cut it off, and restart after 6 - 8 hours, or more. Well, I am new to this and have not used the generator. I believe this 2024, we will have to use it, for quite some days.

My other concern or question is: How to storage gasoline for a long period of time?
I run my generator ever so often for @ 15min at the time. I just keep @ 5 gal of fuel and cycle through it for the small engines, lawn mowers, weed eater and chainsaw. Obviously I'm adding 2 cycle oil for 2 strokes. You could also siphon fuel out of your vehicles or stop and get some more fuel if you felt the need. I do have a few extra fuel cans if I needed it.

I have a portable 8500 watt HF generator, hooked to my breaker panel
it uses .4 gallons an hour X 24 hours = 9.6 gallons per day x $3.00 per gallon of gas = $29 per day = $200 per week

my Georgia Power bill in summer is around $200
in winter around $70, we heat with wood
View attachment 6790067
Do you cut your wood or buy it?

Back
Top Bottom